Wanted; Someone who knows their stuff!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Wanted; Someone who knows their stuff!!!

Post by Guest »

Can anyone help with this one??

I have seen a table regarding percentile ranks etc for the CAT tests, eg 119 = 90th percentile, top 10%.

Now is there one for the 11+ scores??
ie is there anyway of working out what percentage of the cohort scored for example the top marks of 137-140??

Many thanks!!

Post by Guest »

Ignore the maths and look at the graph.

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... sation.cfm
kent

Post by kent »

Many thanks for your kind help guest.

So according to that, say a score of 114 is equivelant to around top 18% which is a failure score at 11+.
This is the bit I cant work out??
If grammars take around top 20% how can top 18% be a failure??

Or is it the case that 114 was perhaps about top 20% this year and Grammars took top 19.9%????

Am I making any sense at all?????
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The article refers the standardising to a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15 - we don't know the mean or sd used in Kent -

In Bucks where I live the scores are standardised to a mean of 110 and 121+ is needed for qualifying i.e. in top 30% so very different.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Yes, the raw scores are not standardised to the same mean everywhere. For example in Slough, the mean is around 104 and the pass mark 111, the grammar intake is around 25%.

Even if you knew the specific variables for your region, you could not deduct the raw pass score from the stantardised score because they vary according to the cohort.
For example, the raw mean for a cohort may be 60% in year A, 65% in year B. Pupils who score 60% in year A will receive the average standardised score (for example 110 in Bucks) but children who score the same in year B will receive a standardised score below average (less than 110 in Bucks) as they would need 65% that particular year.
On top of this, the standardised scores may also be adjusted to take into account the pupil age in month.

Hope this helps...

Catherine