any ideas for getting children to READ the instructions ??

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

any ideas for getting children to READ the instructions ??

Post by yoyo123 »

I have a pupil who is fairly bright, but always lets his work down by careless mistakes, and by not actually reading tehinstructions properly.

I don't doubt his ability, but want to make sure that the examiners see it too. I know his class teacher (she also taught my son) and from what I gather he is the same at school.

Any ideas of activities/exercises whixch would make him concentrate, read and listen?!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear YoYo123

Not sure which discipline you are talking about, however, I actively tell my children NOT to read the instructions for NFER VR Multiple Choice.

I explain, that 'in life' they MUST read instructions, however for the 11 plus they don't have to.

The look of the 21 types is totally different except for 3 types

1] opposite in meaning

2] similar in meaning

3] compound words

For these, all they have to do is quickly check which one it is by looking at the example.

Saves so much time.

Patricia
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks Patricia, the paper we have just done was the Maths NFER. He scored 46% and lost quite a few marks by assuming what answer they were after. He also didn't read that it was multiple choice so wrote the answers on teh question paper. He finished with time to spare and so could have gone back to check but didn't feel he needed to.........

He is SOOOO like my son! :roll:

As we are in Kent we have until January, so I amhoping to chip away :wink:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi yoyo123,

Had a similar problem last year, deduced that the underlying cause was trying to work to fast ( exam tension ) and trying to do everything in his head. Used several tips from this board.

If its fifty questions in fifty minutes then sit still for sixty seconds and do nothing, it feels like a long time, reduces the speeding/panic.

Read the question outloud and write out the workings! Should reduce silly errors.

On the day I am sure my boy reverted to type and did it all in his head but he did go back and check the maths twice before deciding to leave well alone. :)

stevew61
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm going for some of Patricia word games too as he tries to avoid practise papers!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

This is so like my son as well..
I don't have any specific tip, but practice and familiarisation with the question wordings made a difference.

Post by Guest »

Intersetingly enough my son is having this problem with english rather than maths. He scans the passage so quickly that he loses the meaning of the text or assumes he can pick up the answer to a question from one sentence rather than a paragraph. He is averaging around 60% in the Athey practice papers and we haven't even attempted NFER yet as I feel they are such a big jump. He's getting demoralised now and so am I. What annoys me the most is when we sit down together to correct papers he can SEE all the right answers so I think its a case of just not reading properly the first time round. Anyone got any useful tips to help us overcome this. I have already tried Steves idea of sitting for 30 seconds and sitting between passages but it still all seems too hard for him. Is it just a boy thing?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi yoyo123

This problem has more to do with time management than anything else. Children are just scared that they will not be able to complete a paper in a set time.

My advice is firstly follow stevew61 advice of getting the student to sit still for 30-60 seconds so that he realises how much time he has to work out questions.

Then, for Maths get him to work through 5 questions at a time, then 10 questions at a time, then 25 questions and finally the full 50 questions. Stop at each stage to mark his work and discuss any errors with him.

For, VR work on sets of question types, starting with one question type, then two, then six, then full papers. Marking and discussing at each stage.

It would appear that in some of the cases referred to the student is controlling the tutoring process rather than the tutor. By formatting the tutoring session the tutor can have more control of the process.

There is no need for students to work on full papers at the early stages of preparation as it can cause many problems such as time and accuracy issues.

Regards

Mike
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thank you all for your replies, I've got a lot to go on now.

if only I could get my 14 year old to concentrate .....
Y

Post by Y »

Mike wrote: There is no need for students to work on full papers at the early stages of preparation as it can cause many problems such as time and accuracy issues.
Hi Mike

I wonder if you could elucidate a little further on this? And when would you normally introduce full length papers?

Thanks

Y
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now