Schools Prom?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Schools Prom?

Post by capers123 »

No, not the American variety...

Is anyone here going to the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow, where a Gloucestershire Massed Ensemble is performing a specially written composition based on the life of Dick Whittington at the Schools Proms? The ensemble comprises of Glos Youth Orchestra, Glos Youth Wind Orchestra, Glos Youth Jazz Orchestra and (I think) Glos Youth Sinfonia plus a choir of around 500... It's always a great buzz playing at the RAH.

Should be fun, but a logistical nightmare - over 30 coaches including proud parents. Not as hard a trip as the band from Benbecula or the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra - but there will be some very sleepy children at school the following day (the coaches get back to Cheltenham Racecourse at 1am).
Capers
stroudydad

Re: Schools Prom?

Post by stroudydad »

Not going this year Capers but have been several times before. Hope it all goes well. I must say I love the whole mfy ideal. It's a such a shame that Gloucestershire music suffered at the hands of the Accountants.
Red

Post by Red »

Will be there! :D
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stroudydad wrote:Not going this year Capers but have been several times before. Hope it all goes well.
I enjoyed the first time I went - and performed - back in the days that the festival was young and when the main festival was still at the South Bank. A little later I went on to run some of the regional festivals & crew for the NFMY & Schools Proms. Most famous for being a human stage weight - laying under a grand piano holding a drum kit in place from below to stop it falling off a riser; luckily I was out of camera shot (in the days when the BBC took the Schools Proms).
I must say I love the whole mfy ideal. It's a such a shame that Gloucestershire music suffered at the hands of the Accountants.
MFY is indeed a brilliant organisation. I'll not comment about the new Music Hub, but do have many friends who are music teachers - some of whom still work for Glos Music, but most of whom don't, and are quite bitter about it.
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Most famous for being a human stage weight - laying under a grand piano holding a drum kit in place from below to stop it falling off a rise
Capers, I don't picture you as having any considerable weight, me on the other hand...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Obviously I don't know the story about the Gloucestershire Music service but the Bucks Music Service bid to be our local hub and no-one lost their job.

Can't see why it was different in your LA?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now