Reading Boys 13+ 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

13+

Reading Boys 13+ 2013

Post by 13+ »

Kind Parents,

We are thinking about the 13+ for Reading Boys School in Feb 2013 for intake into year 9 in Sep 2013. Our DS only missed out on a place in Yr 7 by a few marks, ranked within the top 140. He is keen to attend the school as are we, but worry that he may get another knock back if he does not get it.

He is doing well at his current school and is in the top sets, however we know the curriculum cycle does differ from school to school, so there may be gaps in the learning.

We are finding it difficult to find the correct material for practice. Also we are unclear of what levels he needs to be at, from a knowledge point of view. eg. does he need to know the whole of KS3 by Feb?

Any advice, guidance in regards to previous tests, study material and tutors will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
stevew61

Re: Reading Boys 13+ 2013

Post by stevew61 »

I had feedback from someone who prepared their DS1 successfully from a local comp, they used the CGP KS3 guides to fill in the gaps.

IIRC the school say levels 6-8 and CGP produce test books at that level. The science is more about applying knowledge than having the knowledge?

This has been discussed before, I will try to find some links.

My DS2 wanted to sit the exam in February but we've decided not to go for it, it is a difficult transition (DS1 said the drop out rate going into 6th form was higher than Y7 entry).

For us 6th form entry looks a better bet. Don't let me put you off if my DS2 was focused and hard working I'd consider it. :roll:
13+

Post by 13+ »

Hi stevew61,

Thanks for you reply. We have the CGP KS3 books already which our DS uses on a regular basis. I did a search the site on 13+ and nothing came up.

I'm not sure I follow the drop out rate point, pls can you explain, as this sounds like an important point.

Our DS is motivated and really wants to attend the school, however we worry should he not get in, it will damage his confidence.

We are keen to utilise any help we can get, including private tuition this time round, are you able to recommend anyone?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Search engine couldn't cope so scanned 32 pages and found,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=14068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=21741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=18562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=15768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=14353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DS1 felt that some of the 13+ entry struggled and so did not get the grades required (2As 6Bs?) to stay on in the sixth form, don't have numbers to back it up so just his opinion.

The transition probably suits best boys from independent schools who have been working towards independent schools 13+ exams and so have higher level French, Maths, Science English and Latin.

In year 9 the latin class splits into those that want to continue with Latin and an introduction to Class Civ and Ancient Greek as other GCSE options.

Having said that the boy I knew who went from comp to Reading has been very successful, his dad went to Reading so I suspect a lot of support at home?

Maybe I'm showing some bias as I've ruled it out for my DS2 and am now focusing on a possible transition at sixth form level?

The benefits of going vastly outweigh any challenges for a bright, hard-working boy with supportive parents. :)

Don't know of any tutors, you need one that can do maths, English and science at KS3? Or the indie 13+ Common Entrance exam? It is possible to DIY with CGP books.
13+

Post by 13+ »

Thanks for the links..

I understand what you mean about the drop out rates. I cant believe the lack of 13+ resources out there! A gap in the market I think!!

We DIY'd the 11+ and unfortunately it was not successful and have lost confidence in our own abilities. I suppose we just need direction from someone who has been through it themselves.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi 13+,

It is a tough one and as Steve has pointed out you need to find a tutor who can cover all three subjects. To give you a taste of the sorts of questions that might come up, google 13+ sample papers and you will find a number of schools have provided these for maths, English and science. Perhaps for the maths and science it not be too difficult to fill in the gaps yourselves with help from the CGP books. English is tougher especially without a marking scheme. Am sending you a separate PM on the latter.

Hope that helps
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Tried to pm you but it doesn't work. I basically have a son, just left Reading boys to go to Oxford and he will be back December 1st. He is very qualified to help on the English.
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =katherine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

My son is at a prep school, just a few miles out of catchment (so in actual fact quite some distance from Reading), and he has high VR/NVR/maths scores (115/135/141), currently in Y6, and is working I would say at and beyond Y8 standard in Maths, and at a high level in science but only average in English.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows how many applications Reading School takes typically for 13+, and how many are admitted? Is it a full form's entry, more?

Incidentally I don't know if anyone knows about the Blue Coat School? It seems to fit the 'just missed grammar school' sort of profile, but that might be unfair. Anyone know? Obviously the presence of grammars in Reading must limit the market for selective independent schools. But if anyone knows about these, I'm interested too.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

twelveminus wrote:My son is at a prep school, just a few miles out of catchment (so in actual fact quite some distance from Reading), and he has high VR/NVR/maths scores (115/135/141), currently in Y6, and is working I would say at and beyond Y8 standard in Maths, and at a high level in science but only average in English..
Have you considered boarding at Reading? They do like a top mathematician or scientist. :wink:

As your DS is in year 6 you have plenty of time to work towards the 13plus.

13plus numbers in the links above, fifty or sixty chasing twelve places.

I've read through all your posts and feel IMHO that Reading Blue Coat might be a more comfortable fit. :)

So you've got a number of options, lots of open doors. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now