Draw a Person

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mm23292

Draw a Person

Post by mm23292 »

DD's doctor showed great interest in a picture she had drawn while waiting in the surgery. He commented on the amount of detail it had, pupils in the eyes, five fingers etc. Someone mentioned that drawing a picture of a person is a good indicator of a child's intelligence, but is that really the case? Children scribble all the time and I haven't really taken much notice of my 3yr old's random drawings, until now. She draws a face with all the appendages, including colour for the pupils of the eyes, body, arms, fingers, legs, shoes etc..and I am told that the more detail included, the better the interpretation of this. I can't recall my older DD's drawings, so I can't compare. Does anyone know anything about this? I was rubbish at art at any age, but I did reasonably well at school, so does drawing a detailed person at 3, indicate a budding Picasso, or something more?
Reading Mum

Re: Draw a Person

Post by Reading Mum »

I know that my DD was assessed at 3 1/2 for entry to her current indie and it is one of the things they asked her to do - no idea what else there was as she couldn't remember :)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My children have to do a self portrait every year at school. (the preschool attached to the school also do this).
yes it is supposed to be a good indicator of developement
Amber

Post by Amber »

mm23292 wrote:DD's doctor showed great interest in a picture she had drawn while waiting in the surgery. He commented on the amount of detail it had, pupils in the eyes, five fingers etc. Someone mentioned that drawing a picture of a person is a good indicator of a child's intelligence, but is that really the case? Children scribble all the time and I haven't really taken much notice of my 3yr old's random drawings, until now. She draws a face with all the appendages, including colour for the pupils of the eyes, body, arms, fingers, legs, shoes etc..and I am told that the more detail included, the better the interpretation of this. I can't recall my older DD's drawings, so I can't compare. Does anyone know anything about this? I was rubbish at art at any age, but I did reasonably well at school, so does drawing a detailed person at 3, indicate a budding Picasso, or something more?
Sounds like she can draw better than I can. :lol:
One of my children at about the same age used to draw dissected pictures, usually of me, with blood, bones, arteries etc all at the side. I am sure a psychologist would have had a field day with that. Perhaps the DC concerned is set to become a pathologist.
um

Post by um »

My 5 year old only draws aliens. They usually have about 20 eyes.
He occasionally draws rockets and the moon too.
I'm now wondering what that says about him :lol:
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 (doing v.well in Y8 at a selective school) can't draw for toffee. DS2 (working two to three years ahead of peers, scored v.high in recent 11+) could barely hold a pencil at that age! DS3 (also academically able) can barely draw anything recognisable. The only one of my children who might have managed this is DD, who is of average ability. It might be an indicator of current development but if schools are using this as an indication of academic aptitude then they're going to miss a lot of bright children!
Your DC is showing advanced observational skills and may also have latent artistic gifts though.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I did say developement , not ability..
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Stroudydad, sorry that it wasn't clear, my reply wasn't directed at you, it was more a comment on what independent schools are using as their assessment criteria for selection at early years and foundation stages.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the test they were referring to is the Goodenough Draw a Person Test and is part of the Aston Index , which also includes other tests such as spelling, language etc.

if you google it you will be able to find out more details . There is a scoring sheet and it is marked against standardised data from many children. It shows how a child's development is compared to its peers. As with all these tests it is used alongside other other information to help assess a child's abilities
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Amber, you made me spit my coffee out with laughter.....as someone who has worked in psychological services with children for years, it appealed!

:lol: