kendrick results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ninasc0

kendrick results

Post by ninasc0 »

Hi can someone help me understand my daughters score?
My daughter got a standardized score of 108.5.
I went and viewed the papers and she gor 90/100 for verbal and 64/75 for non-verbal.
The works out to a raw sore of 88%
So how come she got 108.5 which is 77% ie 108.5/141.00.
Please help as I want to understand how this is correct.
Ninasc0
Reading Mum

Re: kendrick results

Post by Reading Mum »

the scores are standardised so that they fit a bell shaped curve centred around 100, and also within birth month so same age girls are being compared. There are quite a few threads on here explaining the standardisation process used by exam providers such as GL (formerly NFER) who provide the Kendrick exam
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi ninasc0,

Welcome. :) And thanks for sharing your DD's scores. It is a painful process, I'm due to see my DD's papers next week.

Scores are not a straight percentage but a normal distribution complicated by age standardisation. More info here.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your daughter has done fantastically well. It just seems this year with increased numbers others have done better.

If I may ask, what birth month is your daughter? Mine is a December and so expect that my have weighed against her slightly.

Sadly with so many chasing so few places one or two marks make all the difference.

Best wishes.

steve
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Hi Ninasc0,

I'm in total agreement with stevew61, your daughter has scored very well.

Did you ask Kendrick about the standardised score or did they just tell you the papers are marked and scored by an outside body (nfer)? I suppose your daughters age would have been taken into account alongside the overall scores achieved by the cohort in each paper. Looking at your raw scores and overall standardised score I can only conclude that this year they were a lot of high scoring candidates indicating 90%+ scores required to secure a place.

Unfortunately, I'm out of the country on business and can't go along to see my daughters papers, I was wondering if Kendrick were likely to give me the raw scores for my daughter over the phone or via email?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I meant to ask to see the papers but issued the deadline due to a nightmare week at work so it would be interesting to see if they would give out the scores
ninasc0

Post by ninasc0 »

Hi all,
Thanx for your replies.
My DD is born in Oct, so I guess that was a residing factor in getting 108.5.
I have asked Kendrick for further explaniation on how her final score was reached, awaiting a reply.
I would phone and asked for her raw scores, they can only say no.
I did find getting her raw scores helpful because from the letter sent home she scored 77% but in obtaining her raw scores she actually got 88%.
This has boosted her confidence!!!!!which helps greatly as she still has The Abbey and Luckley tests to sit
I will post again when I have heard back from Kendrick
Ninasc0
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

ur dd scores are really good but it is quite disappointing to see a low standardized score though she got nearly 90% raw scores. So sad

Competiotion to Abbey/Luckley should be far less than Kendrick so she should be alright with them
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

This makes me wonder have they removed marks for an older child rather than add marks for a younger child when standardising scores?
ninasc0

Post by ninasc0 »

Hi exactly my point, have marks been deducted for her birthdate, yet have read somewhere, that does not happen!
Is y I have contacted Kendrick to get clarification.
Ninasc0
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Marks are not removed for being older, or added for being younger. Each child is compared against those born in the same month as themselves. On average, older children do better than younger ones which leads to the younger child usually getting a higher score than an older child with the same raw score.