HABS english revised papers 2012

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zhp

HABS english revised papers 2012

Post by zhp »

HABS have listed on their website they will not post 2012 papers- they have said english format has changed a bit and will have 2 additional sections of which they language based puzzles

does anyone know who took the exam in 2012 and what these new sections consisted of

many thanks
Daogroupie

Re: HABS english revised papers 2012

Post by Daogroupie »

I have already asked this same question on here and on the indy forum over a month ago and zero replies. It changed last year but nobody on here appears to have sat it or is not prepared to give us any idea! DG
jazzyb

Post by jazzyb »

Hi,

I would also like to know how the English paper has changed if anyone can assist would be much appreciated. :D
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Daogroupie wrote:I have already asked this same question on here and on the indy forum over a month ago and zero replies. It changed last year but nobody on here appears to have sat it or is not prepared to give us any idea! DG
That is strange... those who already sat it have nothing to lose by sharing but I suppose it was too awkward to ask earlier in the year when the same test might be repeated but too late further into the year - my DS gave feedback initially to the exams he sat (in Brum) but later on had no recollection whatsoever.

DAO, if I were you I would lobby the forum members you know who entered their children with a pm - we should take a leaf out of modern politics :wink:

UmSusu
UmSusu
hertsman

Post by hertsman »

Hi, with the caveat that my son sat the paper at the beginning of the year and so his memory of it might not be all that it should, he tells me that it was a one-hour paper consisting of a comprehension (War Horse) followed by a related piece of creative writing (in this case you had to write a story from an animal's viewpoint). I asked him about language puzzles and his comments on that were that the VR was very "wordy" and "grammatical" but, again, not especially difficult. Couldn't get anything more specific I'm afraid!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you very much. Most helpful, how did he rate the paper in terms of difficulty compared to other exams he sat for? DG
hertsman

Post by hertsman »

Not as difficult as DAO but tougher than Consortium paper, though the DAO comment relates to a text many found tough I seem to remember? His summary of Habs was English/VR of medium difficulty, maths tougher. Hope that helps a little.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is very very helpful. All the students I have sitting have already sat DAO so they will be really pleased to hear this. Any idea which VR they use? Did it seem to be in the same style as DAO? Are you talking about the Watford Consortium which does not have an English paper? Thank you so much. DG
hertsman

Post by hertsman »

Apologies for the confusion - he found English at Habs less difficult than DAO. No idea re type of VR at Habs but more a complex vocabulary versus DAO or Watford Consortium is what I was told. Unable to add any more I'm afraid.
simon

Post by simon »

My son's school who have very close ties to Habs being one of its biggest feeder schools seem to think it is additional VR type questions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now