Cambridge route....

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moetmum

Cambridge route....

Post by Moetmum »

A cousin of mine, whom I don't meet up with more than once a year, has a delightful daughter who attends a grammar school. He is a tradesman and his wife a receptionist and although they are very bright peeps, neither are academics. Quite rightly so, they are very proud of DD who is also a brilliant athlete (currently county/regional level).

I heard through the family tom-tom :roll: that she wanted to study law at Cambridge and she had been for a look around earlier this year and decided it was for her. This week, she has been made an offer, without an interview, and needs A*AA.

My question is, do some students apply for Cambridge and then just wait for an offer/or not and do some apply and then go on to an interview??

Thanks for any replies....had lunch with my mum today and she was updating me on family news, which is often near the truth, but not often accurate :lol:

Moetmum
neveragain*

Re: Cambridge route....

Post by neveragain* »

Hi,

My DD also an applicant.

Some colleges interview, some do not. Some courses interview and maybe some don't. Often an LNAT or BMAT or TSA will have to be completed. My DD had to send work in, and will do test on the day too, along with every other applicant for her specific ourselves......

Well done your friends daughter! :D
Moetmum

Post by Moetmum »

Apologies for my family details in my initial post, but as my relative is bright (and lovely of course :lol: ) that because she is the first one of her family to apply to uni, the fact she goes to a state school and is 'one to watch' on the sports front, I wondered if she was one of the newbies Oxbridge are trying to attract or whether her offer was the norm.

It doesn't matter either way, she still deserves her dreams big time - looks like there is no standard offer - which is refreshing.

Regards and thanks

Moetmum
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think that A*AA is the standard Cambridge offer, whether or not you are called for interview.

Good luck to her!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe having a browse on the student room would tell you whether this is the norm or not? I don't know - I never came across anyone in my day who hadn't had an interview, but it must be very time consuming interviewing so many candidates so I can understand if they have a proportion they do not interview. In my day candidates from comps seemed to get lower offers than candidates from grammars and indies. I don't know if this was really the case, or just an impression, or if it has changed if it was the case. It all seemed to be at the whim of the individual colleges ........ I think this is still the same?
moved

Post by moved »

They used to offer what they thought you could get. Two EEs was the minimum in my day! Post-interview though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

moved wrote:They used to offer what they thought you could get. Two EEs was the minimum in my day! Post-interview though.
I know a few who were offered that (got all As in the end) but had to do exams in Nov / Dec and then interviews - the EE was the minimum required to get an LEA grant and matriculate I think
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, 2 Es was after 4th term entrance exam and interview --- don't know how I forgot that! And proper conditional offers for people who did not come from schools where 4th term or 7th entrance exam was the norm.
moved

Post by moved »

I didn't take fourth term. Offer immediately following a gruelling interview. Was at a comp though, not sure if that makes any difference.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Old but useful thread. I am hoping recent experience could be added, instead of starting a new thread. Posting this for my easy search / followup.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now