Why subject your child to more exams?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Why subject your child to more exams?

Post by nervousmom »

I have a burning question.

Why is it that some DP are making their DC sit the indie exams when their child has done more than enough to gain entry to a GS of their choice?

Our DC did well and will be going to FW next year, we have no intention of putting him through anymore tuition or exams.

Am I missing something?
xumanah

Re: Why subject your child to more exams?

Post by xumanah »

My son achieved a score of 246 and wants to go to KECHB but also wants to do the KES exam to see what's its like and what he can achieve.

He's hasn't been privately tutored and apart from getting him a few Jane Bond books from WHSmith, he did most of the ground work himself.

To be honest even I had problems explaining some of the answers in the Jane Bond books that I let him set the pace of learning.

There is a lot of competition in his junior school and also his elder brother is at Handsworth Grammar so that was also a driving factor for him.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I think a lot of people are impressed by the facilities on offer at some of the indies so if they are well paid and fees are not an issue, or on a low wage so eligible for financial assistance then they will apply. For those in the middle there is always the chance of achieving scholarship to help with the fees so many sit the exam with that hope. There are also parents who were privately educated themselves so see it as the norm or are in a social group where it is the thing to do.
I personally struggle on principle with the whole private education/ selection at the age of 10 thing but as it is the hand we are dealt living in Birmingham then if it means there are more GS places for those who can't afford the indies I say go for it :lol:
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

Hi Nervousmom,

For us it is simple - KES is our and our sons favourite school. I guess we treated the grammar exam as more of a back up. Our first choice was always KES ( if he gets in!!!! ) .
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

we used the indie exams as a SATs warm up...no way as close as the grammar exams in terms of toughness.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Paramjeet wrote:we used the indie exams as a SATs warm up...no way as close as the grammar exams in terms of toughness.
Did your DS really say that?! Maybe he had become a real pro by then and took it all in his stride :D

I must say that my DS came out looking quite stunned after the KES exam and said that although it was not as time-pressured as the KEGS exam, the questions were tougher. He felt the KES exam was the most challenging, followed by KEGS, then Solihull then HGS. I wonder what the feedback of other people was? On the other hand, I suppose the multiple choice nature of the grammar exams can lull them into a false sense of security too.

wrt OP, I think some people might just prefer the indie option - the facilities are fantastic, they have a wide curriculum, offer the IB route, beautiful grounds etc. We have some excellent grammars though in Brum with great facilities and results too, so for many people they would not feel the added expense or study is worth it. As someone once said: 'horses for courses'.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In order of easiness of indie exams
Solihull
Warwick
Bablake
KES..

KES was not as tough as the KE foundation, turned down all 4 places for grammar route; have to get something back for our extortionate tax regime
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

I agree with the reasons outlined by mum in brum and also think some of the indies do a great job of selling their school. KEHS springs to mind as I felt it would be difficult to leave after 7 years and not be a nice person, whereas the grammars seem to emphasise learning experiences and qualifications. KEHS also eschew ranking the kids and academic prizes as they think it is important to nourish and respect individual talents. Interestingly, whereas I thought this was a really good idea, my daughter didn't and said she would need to know where she was in relation to everyone else: she's a product of the Blair legacy! I can see why many parents do choose KEHS over Grammars, if they can afford it or their child gains a bursary. I'm hoping the grammar schools emphasise "niceness" too!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Every family will have their own reasons.

If we'd had results before completing our CAF and been confident that our children had already secured their GS places (whatever a secure score turns out to be) then we wouldn't have "made" our son do the KES exam - it didn't occur to us even to consider it until the November of Y6 and when we went round wife and son were fairly unenthusiastic about it. However, we didn't need to "make" our daughter sit either the KEHS exam or the EHS exam; KEHS was where she wanted to go and EHS was where her best friend wanted to go, she would still have wanted to try for them. (And if I'd known then what I know now I would have tutored our son within an inch of his life for the KES exam, not because I'm dissatisfied with CHB but because I like KEHS so much.)

As I always point out whenever the subject comes up, when you meet parents at school events it's clear that KES/KEHS are first choice for many of them; they send their children to prep schools, they expect to send them to indie secondary school as well (many of the ones we meet already have older children at the schools), and if they enter for GS it's only to provide another option in case they don't get a place at a good indie. I believe the statistics show that it depends mostly on what type of schools parents went to themselves rather than being related primarily to money: parents who went to private schools try to send their children to private schools, even if they earn relatively little.

Mike
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Facilities, trips offered, destination universities, CCF.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now