school reports - school records - what's the difference?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jamesberks

school reports - school records - what's the difference?

Post by jamesberks »

This is really a follow up to another question but I thought it would be easier for others to find as a separate post.

Head has confirmed that she can't support our appeal due to the policy. The primary school reports have always been very well written and detail sub levels of achievement. We have already been given these reports and the only reason I want copies is because I've lost them!! (Never realised how important they might be!!) I think the head thinks I am asking for the school records.

So a couple of questions really ...
What additional information would be in the school records which isn't in the reports?
Will the panel consider records and reports as better evidence than just reports?
Do reports contain the results of formal moderated testing like the Y2 SATs?
If I'm going to formally request anything should I not just go the whole hog and ask for reports and records?
... actually that's quite a few questions!

I know it's covered elsewhere on the forum but for the benefit of others:
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pup ... nd-records" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This official page confirms that "curricular and educational records" have to be kept by the school and made available to parents under the DPA. It also outlines how to go about this (in writing to the governing body). What it doesn't actually tell me is what "curricular and educational records" actually consists of.

thanks
James
jamesberks

Re: school reports - school records - what's the difference?

Post by jamesberks »

It's defined here ...
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1437/made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:?

It looks like there's stuff in the records which are not in the regular reports which I should be interested in (eg results of NC testing) but I would still really appreciate it if someone who really understands this provides a simple if less legally defined explanation of the difference between school reports and school records.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would expect records would contain stuff like attendance/absence, any disciplinary notes like warnings/detentions, maybe relevant medical info
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hi James

If you request your child's record for the past 3 years or so, this document will specify sub-levels/levels attained at the end of EVERY TERM for Maths, English, ICT & Science for that length of time. Also included will be copies of your child's school report.

School reports confirm what child has attained at the end of the year & includes comments whereas records don't have teacher's comments.

This record may be requested in writing & handed in at the school office. You should receive it within 2 to 3 weeks. This document is very helpful if your child is achieving highly at school & will help at the appeal. But if it shows otherwise I would not use it & just stick with your child's school report.

Good luck in your quest :)
ginx

Post by ginx »

Slightly changing the subject, we get an annual school report in summer, but autumn and spring we get sheets just saying what dc are working at/target/any concerns.

Very vague. They also mention Key Stage 4 targets - does that mean GCSE? Is there still a Key Stage 4?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - KS4 is officially years 10 and 11.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, if it is years 10 and 11 - does that mean end of year 11? As my ds isn't - quite - at his targets?

His school report is ok, I can't help thinking if he can get C's now, and is predicted B's, why can't he get B's now?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In some subjects they don't cover B grade stuff in Year 10 but ask at the Parents' Evening.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now