Top State vs Indie Schools - Visualised

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miniwheels70

Top State vs Indie Schools - Visualised

Post by miniwheels70 »

I originally created a visual dashboard that showed the top state schools for sending pupils to Russell Group universities (http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... ateSchools).

Some people have since asked about how the top state schools compared to the independent schools so I thought I would post another dashboard I have created, which includes both Indie and Grammar (and every other type of school) in England.
I originally posted this as a reply on someone's thread, but feel that there is benefit in bringing it to the qider audience.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... s2007-2009

This dashboard has quite a lot of information, so I feel that I need to explain it a bit.
Firstly, the data is a bit older, at least a year out from the currently (possibly - I have not found it) available data. It's based on data from 2007-2009 and the government takes quite a while to compile where everyone goes after that.
It is based on Sutton Trust 30 destinations, rather than Russell Group.
The dashboard is highly interactive, you can filter by Local Authority or School Type. You can also filter by clicking on an item in the dashboard. Hovering over a particular school will give you additional statistics.
The Trend visual shows how the different types of schools (indie, grammar, comprehensive etc) compare to each other for UCAS points AND % heading to ST30 universities. The trend line shows how widespread or compact the range is for that type of school achieving UCAS points compared to ST30 entry.
You can see from the chart that the schools that score the highest average UCAS points per pupil are not necessarily as successful as others. Typically, indies are more successful at getting pupils into ST30 schools on lower UCAS points that grammars.

I hope you find this useful information.

Thanks
fairyelephant

Re: Top State vs Indie Schools - Visualised

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks very much miniwheels70, its interesting to see the blended table. I am impressed with your IT skills :P !!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This data is so out of date to be meaningless.

It is before the A* was introduced and anyone basing a decision on 11+ entry should look at other factors.
miniwheels70

Post by miniwheels70 »

Guest55 wrote:This data is so out of date to be meaningless.

It is before the A* was introduced and anyone basing a decision on 11+ entry should look at other factors.

As mentioned clearly in the post, it is the data that has been made available by the Government. Unfortunately, this and the state school dataset is an experimental one that the Government has only recently tried to put together. I guess it takes them time to compile it.

Personally, I do not feel it is pointless. It shows significant trends that I believe still exist. Obviously, you base 11+ entry on a number of factors, but I don't think any parents ever complain about having too much information. I certainly didn't.

In January, the government will release the breakdown of results by school for all the exams taken this year (there are already summary results available). I will hopefully be able to put together a visualisation on that, and it will be useful information for pupils to see how successful their schools are in specific subjects.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Beware - data goes out of date so quickly!

Even 2012 results are out-of-date and Ofsted look at data IN the school now as a first priority.

By the time 2014 entrants reach GCSE, the staffing, syllabuses and exam set-up will be completely different.
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Just because the league tables show how many children acheive x amount of a A*'s and x amount of Oxbridge successful entrants etc one must still look at their own child as the old saying goes you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Just because the school is at the top of the league tables it does not guarantee your child will succeed at that particular establishment, there are so many more factors to take into consideration. There is a good article in The Sunday Times on factors to consider when choosing a School very interesting reading.
League tables can be looked at in many ways please take time to really look around a school be realistic regarding your children.As parents we still have to put a great deal of time and effort into our children regardless of how good a reputation the school has. Remember in some areas the parents are sending their children to very good schools and also employing private tutors mad I know but this is a fact. Having a happy child who feels good about themselves in an environment which allows them to flourish and reach their full potential is so important.
Many people will choose Grammar Schools above Independent for financial reasons as they have little choice so views will differ.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Thanks miniwheels70 for putting data together

Great efforts and well done
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

thanks mini wheels, very interesting and certainly not pointless! Unlike ofsted reports.....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you read a new (since September) Ofsted report?
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Guest55 wrote:Have you read a new (since September) Ofsted report?
do you have an example?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now