2014 takers!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

2014 takers!

Post by mystery »

Hello there. Is this a bit early to start a thread or will it be record-breakingly long for the Kent section? Just wanted to chat about what people are doing etc. I'm ignoring any possible changes to the tests, and carrying on for the moment as though it will all be the same in 2014. Can't see how we can do otherwise at the moment.

I've got one taking it in 2014. Prep at the moment - Bond VR assessment papers bit and pieces - approx 1 paper from the 8-9 years book done in small chunks here and there each week.

Doesn't take long, don't really know if it's worth doing, but just not wanting any last minute panics during year 5. Think we'll do the 9-10 papers too, but then not bother with 10-11 and use the GL assessment VR practice papers instead. I'm guessing that if we do one paper a week of the Bond assessment papers we'll be on the the GL assessment papers during the summer holiday between year 4 and year 5, then we can do maths and NVR during year 5.

Does anyone know how the vocab in the Bond VR assessment papers and in the GL practice papers compares with the real thing?

Any thoughts?
hopefulwoman

Re: 2014 takers!

Post by hopefulwoman »

Hi I am onboard for 2014 but this is my first time. I am also using bond assessment papers. I have only in the last days scaled it down.
For VR once a week answering a few questions per paer.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My DD is finishing off all the bits and pieces the boys didn't do ( got to get my money's worth :D )...so we're on Bond books aged 7-8 , which she also self marks... strangely tends to get 10 out of 10 each time .So, we're not really taking it seriously yet. We had a bit spurt when she thought I would buy her the whole of Build A Bear ....used to buy the boys little motivational ditties , from time to time ... but that's about it. I'm concentrating mainly on reading and spellings / grammar at the moment as that's her weak spot.

Can't believe this time has come :( Wish I was back at toddler group rescuing her from the village biter and pulling bits of soggy play dough out of her mouth.
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

Hi all,my DD is a 2014 taker as well. This is my second time round (and last :D ) and i've decided to start a bit earlier so it hopefully doesn't get as stressful as it did with DS. I've decided to take the drip-feed approach ie little and often so have introduced her to the letts assessment papers which she doesn't seem to mind. I've decided to do these instead of bonds because they will do those in school before long and that will be her second time of doing them. From doing a few VR questions,I've realised we have to work on the vocabulary side of things. I'm therefore trying to encourage reading and using the dictionary. I'm really hoping that we get a fair bit done in a leisurely fashion so hopefully year 5 won't be such a nightmare!!!! Fingers crossed :?
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi all! Yep, jumping on this bandwagon! :) Third & final time with DS, phew!!

This is the first time I've started this early, I thought I'd try to make it far less stressful this time around, only gave myself 6 months with the other two & stress levels reached fever pitch at times :wink:

We've also started with the Bond books age 8/9, just doing these very sporadically, as & when he wants to really, luckily he's very keen at the moment. Nearly done those, so moving onto the rest of the ages as & when we get there. He uses Mathletics a lot & reads loads so I'm sure that'll all help. Trying to keep it all low pressure, won't use any tests until maybe the January of year 5.

Edited to add : I also am not really thinking about whether or not they change the format of the tests, I feel that by doing the Bond books and other Maths/English skills you must be covering at least some of what would still be involved within the tests i.e. basic Maths & English skills. That's also another reason why I personally won't touch any tests until nearer the time, just to save any confusion with DS as to what they'll be doing.
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Hi! I'd like to join this thread as well please. Nothing like starting early!

Have seen in the Sevenoaks Chronicle today that the new 7oaks Grammar is due to be up and running for Sept 2015 - just in time for our little darlings (if you're over in West Kent). Now just got to get ds to pass :roll:
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Hi all, well done for starting early as that was what I did with my boy who passed extremely well in the last example and will be going to a good grammar school. Yes, little piecemeal at the moment but please make sure you spread it across all the subject areas to avoid last minutes surprises. Nothing to heavy as time is on your side but remember time flies. I will leave the GL assessment papers until probably 5/6 months to the test as by then you would have built up your little ones and covered weak areas. Once you are satisfied this has been done, buy and uses the GL assessment books 1 and 2 for Maths, VR and NVR. I am sure you will all be smiling with your little ones when you get a positive result. All the best.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

Hi

my DD takes her 11+ in 2014. She is incredibly excited purely because her brother completed his 11+ so wants to be like him.

I am not starting any 11+ work until next September. Although there is an article on 11+ papers in the Mail re changing access to past papers. Link below
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... actor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know if that will have any impact on our children.

Look forward to chatting over the coming months.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I posted the following on the other thread concerning the Daily Mail article:
If it helps, you might like to compare the wording of the DM article ...
Daily Mail wrote:Under plans to introduce tests ‘as resistant to coaching as possible’, parents and tutors will no longer be able to buy past papers or practice tests.

Pupils may also face a new test of reading comprehension and more assessment of their writing skills.
With this ... http://www.cemcentre.org/intu/entrance-assessment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durham CEM wrote:Our approach
Our aim is to develop assessments that are resistant to prepping and provide as standardised an environment as possible. Into this framework we then present content that assesses performance in verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning. Our interpretation of verbal reasoning is broad and includes comprehension and reading skills.

We provide no practice materials to minimise prepping
And then take a good read of this: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... er-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems inevitable that Kent will opt for the CEM test.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It might be sensible, but is it inevitable? Isn't it subject to some kind of public sector procurement exercise, and surely GL Assessment would not want to lose out a big county like Kent if they could possibly avoid it? Also, aren't some Kent grammars academies? They don't have to use whatever KCC decides to go with.

What are the facts other than these newspaper reports from time to time which seem to say the same thing differently again and again? Has anyone seen any KCC documents about the review and the procurement exercise?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now