My maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

My maths

Post by ginx »

I am shocked to realise that my ds, yr 10, and dd, yr 9, both get very low percentages in their mymaths (am I allowed to name it?), they say it "doesn't matter because nobody ever marks it". Not good.

And they don't even have the same teacher. And they're at a good comp (not gs). My dh has gone through lots of maths with them today, I didn't realise it was so bad.

Do all schools use this system? What happened to maths homework on paper? Should I complain to school?
Guest55

Re: My maths

Post by Guest55 »

We use it in conjunction with written homework. It is an excellent website as pupils can use the booster sections to highlight their weaknesses. If someone misses a lesson then they can start to catch up at home.

When we have a teacher off sick we can set homework which we then share out the work of responding to the pupils' work. Like any system it's as good as the department using it.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I agree, Guest55, I am worried the teachers are ignoring my children's apparently poor maths. Another email for the school.

Other subjects seem ok, so far, I just wish the kids didn't use the computer so much for homework, you know, cut, paste, print, stick, homework done. Why bother reading it?

Seems their attitude at times, with the excuse "that's what everyone else does". Worrying. Or am I just old?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - they should be checking online who has done the homework and giving responses. Written homework is still necessary because it doesn't check quality of written response!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

My children use it at their respective primary and secondary schools ginx and I have to say I like it. My Year 2 child always comes home on a Friday night and wants to do his homework straight away! They have to use it properly to get the most out of it though. They have lessons on each topic they are set work on and if they go through the practice exercises first that helps. You can also get them to do the questions again if they get a low mark.

I like it but you have to know what to take from it.

UmSusu
UmSusu
moved

Post by moved »

I used it with my pupils. The resource is excellent and it has some great visual aids for concepts that are otherwise difficult. The external angles representation is fantastic.

I always looked to see how pupils had done. It gives the teacher useful data including the number of attempts and the score. Students can also provide feedback for the teacher.

It doesn't replace written homework, but can be used in addition.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now