Young Gifted & Talented Confusion

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Young Gifted & Talented Confusion

Post by countrymum »

Hi. In year 2 a letter came home with DD saying she had been placed on the YG&T register and tbh I didn't really look too much into this apart from visit the website and have a little read. Now in year 6 she is still deemed YG&T within literacy/English fields though am a bit confused as can no longer find any YG&T websites. I know there was some closing down of websites back in 2010?

Is it just the schools themselves then that now offer their own YG&T register, so there is no national register? I knew there were YG&T day events where children could attend, do these no longer take place. I have to say YG&T has always confused me as although DD is apoarently 'registered' I often wonder how she benefits?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Young Gifted & Talented Confusion

Post by scary mum »

I think they abolished it nationally (funding), so no, I don't think there are any events.. It used to be the top 10% in a school of a given subject (I think). This of course means that the top 10% in one school could very easily not be the top 10% in another school, so it was all a bit devisive. I think schools keep track of this so that they can give those in the top few percent an extra boost - their policies will say that the bright, as well as the struggling may need some extra input (what happens to those in the middle?). Hopefully it will mean your DD gets any extension work she may need.
scary mum
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It may be different elsewhere - but our experience is that ds's school pay lip service to it. In 5 years I think they've run 4 one hour sessions for G&T maths. They have a policy because they have to - not because they actually do anything with it.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I have never heard the words uterred at our primary!
ginx

Post by ginx »

At junior school, my ds was put on the g&t list because he knew everything about rivers. :? He still loves geography and would like to do it at A level, but I don't really understand why he was put on the list because it didn't mean anything!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard meant she was classed as SN as required the extra extension work at school, though don't think DD has mentioned to me she does anything too different from others. However I have never really pushed it, and asked, so she may well do.

So where is this 'register' then, a list the school would have?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now