Progress

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HopefulDen

Progress

Post by HopefulDen »

How are things going for everyone else on the Wirral?
I'm getting quite stressed for a laid back kind of person. Any tips anyone for getting through this last stage and for filling out the school admissions form which is going to wing our way shortly.
Den
Denise J
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

Hi Hopeful Den,

It is quiet on the Wirral Group..

We went through this all last year, the worst stress is after the Exam is finished and the biggggg Long Wait for the results. That was the hardest for me, especially after my daughter telling me she missed questions out.

I think you need to put the Grammar School you would like your child to go to as FIRST choice.. some got caught out with this last year. which school is your child sitting 11+ for??

Seems at least 20 children in my daughers old school are sitting eleven plus this year. From talking to various mums about it. Last year it was 8, with 6 passing.. so a big jump for some reason.
I Think it has something to do with the high percentage of kids passing last year, although the school does not promote 11+ or results they achieved.

My daughter has her uniform ready and is very excited about the school and has made some new friends on her introduction day at the school.

would I do it all again.. Definately ..

good Luck..

NBS
HopefulDen

Post by HopefulDen »

Thanks newbie
I've read all of your previous posts and I know how you felt now!

We live in Birkenhead and are trying for Calday we think but will leave the choice to our son after the open days although he has Calday in his sights. I went to see it in July and I must admit I was impressessed. There's a lot of focus there on the things he likes doing, languages, technology music and drama-so I know he'd be happy there. I think most of the boys in his class are going to Wirral but I'm not too hung up on this going by the amount of people from primary school I'm still friendly with (er...none)and the fact is he's a sociable and chatty boy so he won't be friendless for long.I'm looking forward to seeing Wirral as well as a couple of the local comps-although I think he's be eaten alive at our local state school.

Only problem is I'm worried to death about him getting to either grammar particaulaly as he has a November birthday. Does anyone know how this really affects their score? It all seems like gobbledygook to me. Bad news if more children are attempting the exam as well. I guess the recent publicity about higher standars in the Grammars at a Level doesn't help either.

I believe the school finds out the results post Christmas just to add to the mental torture for the parents. I wish I could jump to march 2008. The worst is-we have amother son so we have to go through all of this again at some point in the future!
Den
Denise J
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Hi Denise

I went through it last year and have an elder son at Ridgeway - so I see both sides as it where.

My youngest is starting Wirral in Sept. The school get the 11+ results in Dec and that's when the headteachers put forward any cases they think should have passed to the independant panel. Then there's the LOOONNNG wait until 1st March.

The school open evenings whizz by and its so difficult for the kids to really get a good look around due to the vast amount of people there. We did Woodchurch/Ridgeway/Wirral Grammar.

I agree with the previous response, put grammar as first choice - we did, and i think it helped immensely when we appealed (and were successful).

Good luck with it all.
Sue
Sue
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

Hi Denise.

Calday is a Fantastic school but over subscribed last year. So it must be your FIRST choice. If others tell you differently then ignore..

Being in Birkenhead If he passes and has it first choice he will get in, it's as simple as that.

My two best friends sons go to this school. One just passed also.. The other is 13. One lives in Moreton the other in Irby.

Are you getting tutoring for you son ? Or DIY ?

How is he doing on the practice tests and what are you using ?

I'm sure as the test day gets closer more people will be posting on here..

Think this website kept me sane last year.. :D

NBS
HopefulDen

Tutoring

Post by HopefulDen »

Hi
I am tutoring my son myself as we send him to an independent primary but really struggle financially. The other parents are using tutors (which begs the question way should we have to but that's another topic) we just can't afford it-we do without as it is-anyway enough of the sob story
I am using the IPS method books back up by the tutors question type CD-I was pushing him too much last week and gave him a Nfer that the wasn't ready for at the wrong time of day and made him panic so I've back tracked and gone back to the IPS short practice papers and additional questions backed up with a longer test fom time to time-things are starting to come together and my gut feeling is he is starting to progress-on the longer paper tests he is at about 86-88 out of 100, shorter question type questions 10/11/12 out of 12- the cd's he had 94-100% on the types he finds easy but is steadily improving on the others as I teach him the method-nothing below 88 really-I'm aiming for an effortless 90% to be sure of a pass and I'm more convinved he can achieve it. He also needs to be constantly reminded to write down his workings out and not do it in his head especially the number/code ones.My biggest problem is getting him to stay focused but it's easy to get distracted at home and I think he'll be fine in a test/school environment. But...you never know.

Interestingly there 2 of the more difficult question types I am slow with but he sees them faster than me!

Den
Denise J
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den
Pensby here,
Just a quick note,don't panic !!my son has a Nov b'day (they don't get any extra points so I'd aim for 85% as a guesspass rate-based on my daughters score 2 years ago) and has only done 2 cd papers all hols,will crack on in Sept,
are you going to the open day Sept 13th?
glad to see people posting again!!
Pensby
HopefulDen

Open Day

Post by HopefulDen »

Hi Pensby-good to hear from you
thanks for the reassurance-Is that right what you are saying -that they don't take marks off the older kids but add them on to the younger ones?-Actually sounds more logical actually not penalising the older children but giving the others a bunk up-fairer I think-if that's so then I really feel better.
Had a breakthrough with one of the question types this weekend-the number sequence ones eg
2 4 6 8 10 _ whats the next number in the sequence
We learned the method then after doing the tutors disc discovered that the one's we couldn't get were always of the same type + + + - +++
or adding-subtracting the previous number on to the next one

Did another test today and he flew through it got 47/50 and one of the answers Sam got wrong had a mistake and had two answers! I was really pleased with him and it's done hs confidence a world of good. He went from " I hate these questions" to " they're quite fun actually" in two days!

The other one he didn't like was the algera type one but he's not so scared of these anymore and the other one is this type -use the same method to work complete the third sum 25(5)5 36(6)6 49 (?) 7 this is an easy one but some seem quite difficult and we haven't mastered this completely yet. He still needs to learn more words but has definitely improved from a few months ago-we have time to work on that with his games.

Which ones does your son like the least?

Den

PS we will be going to the open day-you going am or pm?
Denise J

Post by Guest »

Hi Den

If you are using The Tutors VR CD1 then you can introduce the shop purchased NFER papers after completing the first 15 question types on the CD. Then use the CD to revise any questions that he got wrong.

Hopefully, you are aware that the last six question types on the CD and the HIKNOS questions in the IPS material does not appear in the NFER papers you either need to use The Tutors published or e-papers or the Susan Daughtery Bright Spark papers or any other publisher who covers the 21 question papers, 80 question per paper with all 21 question covered in two papers.

Wirral, even though it covers the same syllabus as Bucks, has far fewer postings on the forum. Thre has always been a "behind closed doors" attitude in Wirral that we have constantly been trying to break down.

Rgards

Mike
HopefulDen

Practice

Post by HopefulDen »

Thanks Mike

The pattern that we seem to have fallen into that seems to work for us is having a look at the method in the IPS book yhen going to the appropriate question type on the Tutors CD and then going through any wrong answers again with the methods-the following day we do the same test bearing the previous wrong answers in mind-it really seems to work-I've followed advice on this site and got Bright Sparks, The Tutors papers as well as the IPS short practice tests and additional question papers. I'm leaving NFER untill a bit nearer the exam now once the question types are stuck in his head.
His speed is fine, in fact I have to slow him down-The one question he struggles with is type 18 (K) and I think this may be because I'm not fantatically confident with these either-any tips?

You are right about the Wirral. We were laughing the other week as the parents of 2 boys in my sons class are denying sending them to a tutor but they are going to the same Tutor as some of the others boys-why fib? They all need a bit of extra help if only to reduce stress and increase confidence. Or is it that at the end of the process they want to be able to say "our child didn't need tutoring to pass". I keep telling people about this site but come up against total disinterest-I wonder if some of the parents don't feel confident in their own ability to act as tutor to their own children. Who knows? I think they are missing a brilliant opportunity to help their children. I for one will be haunting this site for the next couple of months as I have found it incredible supportive and reassuring

Den
Denise J