Post GCSE Festivals

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Demon Pixie

Post GCSE Festivals

Post by Demon Pixie »

Apparently "everybody else" will be going to a festival after the GCSE results next year!

Any comments as to how true this is likely to be?

Anyone out there who had a 16yr old who went to a weekend festival with their mates? Were there any pitfalls?

Anyone who said no? What worried you the most?

Thanks for any comments
Reading Mum

Re: Post GCSE Festivals

Post by Reading Mum »

judging by what I see in Reading in August it would seem to be a classic place for teenagers to go and let off steam
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No-one in my DC's year went ...
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

2 of my lot went - in fact my son then went every year for 5 years. At 21 he decided he was too old :D .
My daughter went once, and regretted it. Disgusting, she said. They had to go to the Oracle in Reading to use the facilities there :lol:

It's one of those things - a sort of rite of passage for a lot of them. I was in a terrible panic the whole weekend the first time, but have since stopped worrying about it. At least there are no cliffs in Reading. Yes we've done the Newquay thing as well ....again, not really what I wanted, but they had a good time.

And also the 6th form holiday to some such outrageous resorts in Greece and Majorca....

The thing is they eventually do these things, so it's best to start with manageable ones like local festivals, where you can be there at the drop of a hat should there be a problem.
Looking for help

Oh I see your questions...

I would say that in my older three's cases, a good proportion of their years went to Reading after GCSEs. I actually used the ticket as a major carrot for my then very uninterested son to buckle down and do some work, which actually paid off pretty well. He got the results the morning he went the first time, and I was happy in so far as he had kept his side of the bargain.

Pitfalls - getting wallet and cash stolen on first day, losing mobile phones, that sort of thing. It's always good to have a prearranged pick up point so that if these things happen you/they know how and when they're getting home.

Complete loss of bag and clothes (I have no idea how that happened).

Total lack of sleep. It's either far too noisy and everyone's so close together in their tents that they can't sleep, or the tents are either too hot or too cold.

Mosh pits - a terrible hazard for the unsuspecting festival goer, can result in injury.

Oh and the smell on return. Best to have a garage/outhouse to have them get their filthy clothes off in before coming in the house and send them straight to the bath. :lol:

I will go away and try and think of anymore.....
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Likewise it seems to be the done thing for post GCSE students in my neck of the woods to head to festivals - in our case it was the Leeds festival which helpfully started on the day the GCSE results came out.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My eldest two have been to the V Festival in Chelmsford. Eldest DS didn't go until he was 17. He likes his comforts and decided not to go back. After LFH mentioning about belongings going missing we went to millets and got a wallet that you can hang around your neck and tuck inside your t-shirt. It was big enough to keep his money and his mobile telephone in but small enough to conceal. Wellington boots are a must. Most of the girls seem to wear them even if it's hot. Wet wipes a must. I wouldn't bother with taking too much food as it is not fit to eat after spending the first night inside a sweaty tent. Tell them to stick together and have a meeting place just in case someone gets separated from the crowd.

DS2 went to the same festival this year after receiving his GCSE results. He has got day tickets for next year as he doesn't want to camp again. He said his tent was ransacked, his fleece, hat and camping chair were stolen and he said lots of pairs of Hunter Wellingtons went missing. His were non-designer so they were left. Having said this, not everyone feels the same. I know plenty of people who camped last year and already have tickets to return next.
Looking for help

Indeed wet wipes and dry shampoo for the girls who try to clean. As for the boys.............they don't seem to care so much :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Looking for help wrote:Indeed wet wipes and dry shampoo for the girls who try to clean. As for the boys.............they don't seem to care so much :D
:lol:

Eldest DS stood in the shower for about half an hour when he got home. I think it was you who recommended that you hose them off in the front garden before letting them back in the house. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD didn't go this year after her GCSEs, although a lot of people she knows went to Reading (at least it's near I suppose). I think she feels that she missed out a bit and is talking about going next year. However a subtle reminder that she hates camping and will have to pay for it herself may put her off for a while longer :lol:
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now