13+ Grammar Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tigger2

13+ Grammar Appeals

Post by tigger2 »

Hi..

I have got to think about 13+ appeals for grammar schools in Kent...Planning well ahead I know but I would appreciate advice on how far to go back when submitting academic evidence. We are aware that each gs will test a prospective pupil if they have a place available but this is unlikely to happen. It appears that some children whose parents appeal are tested by the school and some are not so I cannot rely on testing results to be part of my appeal ... I am happy to provide as much information as necessary but equally don't want to submit evidence that they don't really need. Also, ds failed the 11+...as this was some time ago now can I just briefly refer to it and submit his results with his ht and teacher letters of support or can I leave this out and wait to see if I am asked at the hearing?

Any advice very welcome !
Thanks
Tigger
zeinab

Re: 13+ Grammar Appeals

Post by zeinab »

Tigger2, I'm sure the experts will help you on this one, but whatever you decide to do, I'm behind you 100%.

Will never forget your invaluable help when I needed it.

Good luck to you & your DC. xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

can I leave this out and wait to see if I am asked at the hearing?
Yes, I would be inclined to do this.

I would usually suggest submitting evidence either from the past 12 months, or as far back as the last full school report.

If there was anything really noteworthy more than 12 months ago, you could include it as well.

Take with you to the hearing any earlier evidence you may have - not with the intention of using it, but just in case you are asked.
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

First of all thank you Zeinab....you are very kind :D

And Etienne, thank you , I would much prefer to concentrate on the last year because that has been brilliant for our ds. I am not dreading appealing again but dh is....he is thinking of going in disguise or asking a friends husband to sub for him :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

would much prefer to concentrate on the last year because that has been brilliant for our ds.
Really good to hear that! :D

I would maintain that he should be judged on recent progress and what he is achieving now.
It supersedes ancient history!
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I am beginning to put a statement and evidence together for appeals next year and would appreciate any advice regarding NC levels and Common Entrance grades....I asked some time back on the independent forum what NC levels would be comparable to Common Entrance grades for an appeal.Unfortunately as Common Entrance papers are marked according to the cohort applying for your first choice independent the results in Common Entrance can be very varied. Basically (I think !) a C grade at a very competitive independent may be marked at a higher grade at a less competitive school..........

Our last appeal was difficult because the panel are used to seeing NC levels in reports/letters of support from school etc and DC's school reports were rubbished by the school rep. We had Cats scores which showed that that Dc results were on the 98th percentile but this wasn't enough to convince the panel :?

If anyone has appealed for a state grammar from an indie has got any advice I would be very pleased to hear from you !

Many thanks
Tigger
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now