Careers Advice in Schools.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pumpkin Pie

Careers Advice in Schools.

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

BBC News Online:

'Careers advice has been reduced in more than eight out of 10 schools in England in the past year, research suggests.

A survey of professional careers advisers working in 1,500 secondary schools reveals "dramatic reductions" in the amount of professional careers guidance on offer.

Schools took over the duty to secure independent careers guidance for their pupils from September 2012.

The government says schools should decide what was right for them'.

One of my main criticism's of my schooling in the 80's was the lack of Careers Advice on offer, virtually non-existent! How do schools these days go about offering Careers Advice? Do they get people in from 'all walks of life' to give advice? Do teachers offer Careers Advice on the topic they teach?
Tinkers

Re: Careers Advice in Schools.

Post by Tinkers »

I'm a STEM ambassador, and we are regularly asked to go to schools and careers events to talk about what we do. STEMnet provide this as a free resource to schools and volunteers provide their time freely.

Saying that it is still down to individual schools to ask for this.

I remember when I was choosing my O level options. I'd picked all three sciences and the careers teacher asked if I was really sure I wanted to do that as 'It could be a bit difficult for a girl'. :x
I then had to point out I thought they were really easy and much easier than Home economics (which is what she taught). Things do seem to have moved on in that respect thankfully, but I still come across girls who think engineering is a mans job.
Reading Mum

Re: Careers Advice in Schools.

Post by Reading Mum »

Thankfully things have improved a bit - I was aiming for an Engineering degree and had little support from school careers people. I had to do technical drawing at evening class and was made to learn typing 'just in case'. This was at a girls GS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now