What would you do?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chocolate

What would you do?

Post by chocolate »

Hi all

Please help. My DS will be 17 in April, currently in Year 12, studying for A levels. He has been looking for a job for a while, he replied to a local advert asking for a kitchen helper, in a nearby country pub. He was called and asked to go for a trial last Saturday at 9am. He was there until 3pm. After he had finished working, the chef asked him to complete a form of his personal details and to call him on Sunday, with his bank details and National Insurance No, which he did. He told my son he would sort out his contract and call him in the week (last week). My son called yesterday afternoon to ask him if he wanted him to go into work today. The chef was unavailable and my son left a message asking him to call back. He has not called back. I have a horrible feeling about this and I don't think that they are going to contact my son again, which is really disappointing and makes me so angry, that they have done this to him. He worked for six hours and has not received payment. I have decided to wait a couple of days to see what happens, but if he does not contact my son I won't be able to let it go, I will have to deal with it!! What would you do in this situation, I'm really stressed - advise needed pleeeeeeeese !!!!!
doodles

Re: What would you do?

Post by doodles »

What a horrid thing to do to him and I wouldn't let this go either. It is not so much the unpaid labour I would worry about but the personal details, NI number and bank details.

Is the chef the owner/manager? If not ask to speak to them, or is it a chain pub, in which case speak to the brewery. Failing this and if you get no joy I would definately report the matter.

Sorry if my reply has worried you but I definately wouldn't let this go even if there is no job available.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

This is the world we live in I'm afraid, chocolate. I don't think you'll hear from them again, and your son has learned a valuable lesson. It is such a shame, they clearly needed some extra help and use young people as unpaid labour to do menial tasks that don't need much training for. I'm not sure there is anything that you can do, at all, unfortunately. Obviously you can get in touch with them, but I'm sure they'll say they didn't need anyone right now, or somebody else was more suited to the role :twisted:

The best places for young people still at school to work in are well known high street stores who treat all their staff with a bit of respect. Some of mine have had really good jobs, and are not asked to work for nothing.

My older son did an eight week stint working for a local company with the promise of a job at the end of it. He was allowed time off for other interviews, but they kept saying to him, why bother - you will get a permanent job here, don't worry, needless to say at the end of it he was let go with nothing at all. He then temped for apparently an 8 week contract which he did get paid for, but they let him go after two weeks, no notice given. He has found proper employment now, but it wasn't easy.

I am not happy about exploitation, the expectation that employers can be anything but honourable when it comes to employing young people but unfortunately it is beginning to be the norm .
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would be tempted to invoice them for the time he worked for them... won't get anywhere but sometimes makes the point
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Might be worth contacting the local press, or at least threatening to. Bad publicity like this does not do well business wise andcmay warn others that this place does this so at least others may not suffer.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

hermanmunster wrote:I would be tempted to invoice them for the time he worked for them... won't get anywhere but sometimes makes the point
Followed by a threat of action in the small claims court. The problem might be establishing who the contract was with. Given the sums involved probably not worth pursuing, likewise they might offer a payment for you to go away. :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I, like you, would not be able to let this go. It is an injustice and that doesn't sit well with me. What they have done is dishonest and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I think I would start with a polite phone call and ask them when you can go along to pick up your son's earnings. I would then follow up with a very formal letter saying you are not prepared to let the matter go. As Steve suggested threaten that you will take it to the Small Claims Court. Make a fuss and make lots of noise about it. Hopefully they will realise they have made a mistake in doing this to your son.
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi there

Thank you so much for those of you who replied to my post. It is so nice to hear from people who would follow this incident up in the way that I am intending to, and that I am not just over-reacting!! I knew I could rely on some sensible people on this forum. I will let you know if I get anywhere with this. Thanks guys :P
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi again

Just to let you know that they have now offered to pay my son for the hours he worked!!! After a couple of emails and phone calls, the mention of 'employment tribunal' in the last email did the trick!! Thanks guys!! Happy Christmas.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

chocolate wrote:Hi again

Just to let you know that they have now offered to pay my son for the hours he worked!!! After a couple of emails and phone calls, the mention of 'employment tribunal' in the last email did the trick!! Thanks guys!! Happy Christmas.
:D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now