Starting 11+ preparation (Herts)

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
roselyn

Starting 11+ preparation (Herts)

Post by roselyn »

Hi All

My daughter is in year -3 and just started thinking about 11+, this website is really good providing useful information.

I am looking for information to start 11+ preparation required for schools in Hertfordshire region -
1. Recommended links/books/papers/tests to start 11+ preparation for English, Maths, VR and NVR.
2. Steps to proceed for each subject.
Just thought of introducing her the basics in each subject slowly.

I came across the below link which gives very good information on recommended materials, steps to proceed etc., for Buckinghamshire region -
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this kind of information available for Herts schools? If you could post some information, it would be really helpful for beginners like me.

I tried searching using different keywords but it didnt help.

Forgot to add -
The link as suggested by recommended materials thread - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Hertfordshire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; provides good materials for 11+ practice for 10+ year olds, but am looking for materials which would be easy to follow for 8/9 yr olds.

Thanks
Long Journey

Re: Starting 11+ preparation (Herts)

Post by Long Journey »

Hello roselyn and welcome.

I am not sure about starting in Year 3 but when I started prep for my daughter I posted and got some very good advice from people here. The thread is called 'Advice for a newbie' or something like that, which was a good starting point for me.
WP

Post by WP »

Here is the thread Long Journey referred to: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=24020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Roselyn. Is it the Watford Consortium schools you are interested in? Is there one in particular that you are aiming for? There is lots of help and advice here. You can do a search on posts by using the key words Watford or Consortium. I would suggest that you start with some VR for 9-10 yr olds and some maths books for years 7-8. I work with some Year 3's and we have great fun racing each other and doing quizzes. How did your dd get on with KS1? PM me if you like. DG
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Hi Roselyn.
As there are no grammar schools in Herts, I'm guessing that you are wanting to prepare your child for either independent school entrance tests or for the S.W.Herts consortium. Unless you are looking at selective schools in nearby London boroughs.

If you are preparing your child for the S.W.Herts consortium, then you need to focus on Maths and verbal reasoning. There isn't an English paper, but obviously vocabulary skills will help with the verbal reasoning. There is no non-verbal reasoning paper.

In Year 3, I would be doing the following:
Maths: encouraging confident knowledge of times tables including related division facts; problem solving.
Verbal reasoning: playing word games; reading a wide range of books by different authors, including some classic children's literature.

Bond do graded workbooks for Maths and verbal reasoning, but with nearly three years to go, I would be wary of spending too much time doing these yet.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Loads of advise is on this forum. For early years, following link would help.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... r-3-year-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Many thanks to all for all your replies. I was really happy to see all the responses.

Sorry I was not clear in my message regarding schools we are thinking about (cant really say "aiming for" now).
The list of schools we have in our mind (as per the order below - I am sure this list/order may change when I learn more about schools/tests/preparation)

Independent schools
================
1. Haber dasher girls
2. North London Collegiate

State Grammar schools
==================
1. Henriette Barnet (every one says its a great school and the leading grammar school in the country (?)
2. Watford Grammar girls (This is a back up plan for now depends on how DD is /will be doing in 11+ preparation/tests. Also, this is easily commutable from our place. Though the school selection is not fully academic, heard they produce good GCSE / A level results)
3. Latymer, DAO (Heard good review about these schools as well )

I am yet to explore all the other state/independent schools. Please let me know If I missed any good schools.
If we want DD to try for all schools above she need to write seperate test for

1. South.west Herts consortium school (which covers Watford grammar in my list) - Maths & Verbal reasoning
2. Henrietta Barnet - English, VR, Maths
3. Latymer - NVR , English, Maths
4. DAO - VR, English, Maths

5. Haber dasher - VR, English, Maths
6. NLCS - English, Maths (followed by interview) - not sure what the child has to prepare for interviews

I had heard tests in independent schools would be tougher than state schools & private tutoring would be required ?
Please PM me if you have any recommendations for private tutors for Maths, English, VR

@DG, 3b1g
She attained level 3 in both Maths & English Key stage 1 -SAT exams & teacher's assessment.
Maths - She is thorough in her time tables till 11 tables and goes to Kumon class which helps her in speed but lacks mental arithmetic, also applied maths things like measurements, time etc., She generally doesn't like Maths much :-(
English - She shows good interest in reading the books like Horrid Henry, Jacqueline Wilson, some pony pals. Is there any other recommended books/authors ?

Thanks WP, Long Journey , tiffinboys - I shall go through the threads you referred.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

You have to be in the catchment area for Latymer and DAO..
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Is it ? Thanks Magi22, I wasnt aware of catchment policy of these schools...
Even if you get great score, you still need to be close to the school ?
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

The schools have published their catchment area criteria.Please look it up.
HBS does not have a catchment area but you may not want your child to commute for more than an hour to get to the school.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now