Level 6 sats paper home help

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Level 6 sats paper home help

Post by Hera »

If a parent decided to help with some English sats prep for level 6 what would be the best books to look at. I feel rightly or wrongly that it is easier to help with Maths even though I have an English degree :lol:
JRM

Re: Level 6 sats paper home help

Post by JRM »

Don't mention helping with Maths :lol:

I'd be interested in what you find. Not particularly because I want to tutor, but DS made me read his homework tonight (done at 9pm, due in tomorrow morning :roll: ) and I have no clue how good it is or what I shoudl be looking out for. I know his teacher will give good feedback, but now I'm interested and would like to know more about what is expected - in writing particularly.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
moved

Post by moved »

Very few children made level 6 last year in reading. This year there is the grammar and spelling too.
Hera

Post by Hera »

moved wrote:Very few children made level 6 last year in reading. This year there is the grammar and spelling too.
Are there any specific books you can recommend, for extra work full stop not just level 6. DS says they never do comps at school, they don't have spelling tests etc. Personally I don't feel his Englsih is great but it is hard to judge as perhaps my expectations are too high. I have seen the old sats papers but does anyone know of a good revision guide so that I can check he has covered the pertinent areas?
JRM wrote:Don't mention helping with Maths
:lol: :lol: :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

One primary teacher has dug out a book from her childhood to use for grammar. It's not my area I'm afraid - too long since I was in a primary school.

For 11+ English, I used Bond, which has basic grammar amongst the comprehensions; Schofield and Simms, nice and short; Hayden Richards books, short exercises and wrote my own materials.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

DD is doing 'level 6' English next year. From my point of view I do think part of the reading etc has to be an inbuilt natural ability though of course it can be nutured. We ocassionaly do spelling tests at home which keeps her on her toes and we talk about the meaning of words she is spelling and what context they can be used. She enjoys it.

I am a firm believer of children reading, reading, reading. DD loves all sorts of books and has a wide vocabulary. She has had a look at a previous level 6 English paper (think is about water) and had fun going over it. I think if a child really enjoys a subject then 'revising' that subject doesn't feel like homework/hardwork.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

moved wrote:Very few children made level 6 last year in reading. This year there is the grammar and spelling too.
Out of interest moved is this nationally and are we talking not many children in year 6 achieving the 'level 6'? Any particular reasons why?

I have forgotten when you find out (if you want to) levels attained after them sitting the Sats in May?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Only one child apparently achieved a level 6 in English last year in our county. I wonder if that's true.

Why? When loads achieved maths?

The only tip I can offer with spellings - is, with a new word, get your dc to use it in a sentence to prove it is understood.

At our school, dc don't have to do that in year 6 - although they did in year 5 - so I try and make dd do it - even if she doesn't write it, she can just tell me.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Why is anyone doing extra work at home for SATS? The purpose of these exams is to reflect how well a school is doing ie whether or not the teaching standards are adequate, not how much extra work is inflicted on children when they get home!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Inmystride, I guess some people are doing extra work for the SAT's because some Secondary Schools take the level achieved into consideration, so it reflects on your child's own personal ability. We don't want them being in the bottom sets! :wink: