Help with meeting re 11+ and dyslexia

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lulu1

Help with meeting re 11+ and dyslexia

Post by Lulu1 »

I would welcome any thoughts / words of advice in preparation for a meeting with the primary head tomorrow......

DD2 is year 4 (early to be thinking about this, I know, but her elder sister has just sat 11+ so it is at the forefront of her mind and she has been asking about grammars).

18 months ago she was diagnosed with 'severe' dyslexia (no surprise as I was aware of difficulties from toddlerhood), via a private EP assessment. I felt there was no choice than to go down the private route as the LEA refused to assess her, she had no behaviour difficulties and both that school and the LEA were happy to accept that she was just 'low achieving' ......., the school said they could only measure against national levels, not her personal potential - she has now changed school.

During this assessment, her Verbal IQ was on the 82nd percentile and her reading ability placed her in the "lower 1% of pupils of similar age and verbal ability".

She now wants to aim for a grammar school, which I am more than thrilled to support her in, if it's right for her. So, I have a meeting with the head and am trying to contact the SENCO's at the 2 grammars that I think may be suitable (Gloucestershire - which have multiple choice VR papers). She's on School Action. Does anyone have thoughts on what I should discuss at this meeting tomorrow?

Thanks so much
L
Sunshine 11

Re: Help with meeting re 11+ and dyslexia

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Great you are supporting her on this. My daughter is similar and I too want to aim for grammar. RHS seems suitable, it is good all round not just academic.

In terms of meeting with the head I would just let her know your intentions, if she has any experience of a dyslexic child taking the 11+ from her school and if she will support your application for extra time.

There isn't much they can do to help other than that. For you, get your tutor booked. I used Gloucestershire Dyslexia Association for general tuition for a year (my DD diagnosed privately beginning of Y3). We now just have a general tutor and are starting to do a bit of VR.

Do have a back up school though. But have a go, why not ? if you would like to know the tutor I use PM me. I am not sure which part of the Shire you are from ?

Good luck with your meeting. State your intentions and see what they say. :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera