I wonder how many English grades were changed in the end....

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

I wonder how many English grades were changed in the end....

Post by Looking for help »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20526791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think it actually says - nor does it say how many went up or down, just that quite a lot were wrong :mrgreen:
scary mum

Re: I wonder how many English grades were changed in the end

Post by scary mum »

It's not very clear, is it? It does say that 0.53 of the total were changed. I wonder if we should have challenged some of DD's :roll:
scary mum
Looking for help

Given that the reduction in A-Cs was 0.4% , perhaps this has been cancelled out and now there is actually an increase of 0.03 ?

Unless they give us meaningful information, we can only speculate. The absence of meaningful information suggests it is as expected, there was in fact an increase in grades achieved, and most of them were in English.

That's the rumour I shall start anyway :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is certainlysome mis-information going around at the schools anyway. My understanding (and I may be wrong :lol: ), is that the problem lay with the controlled assessment done during the year. DD achieved an A* for this, but a B overall due to flunking one of the exams (C instead of a predicted A). Her teachers are telling her that if it hadn't been for the down grading she would have got an A overall, but I don't think this is true as the problem lay at the C/D borderline of the CA, I presume they are just trying to flatter her (and themselves!). DD is under the impression that "everyone" got a grade lower than they would have done in January, or other years.
scary mum
Looking for help

The thing with controlled assessments as I understand it ,is that a sample go off to be moderated and then receive either extra marks if they feel the teacher has been too harsh or marks are deducted if they are too lenient. This plus or minus is then applied to everyone in that controlled assessment, whether they were sent off for moderation or not. ie it is assumed that the marking as done exactly the same for everyone in that test centre. The problem is that the schools are bandying about the information to the students, not warning them that the mark they have been awarded might in fact change due to moderation. I think a significant number of controlled assessment marks came right down and this wasn't known till the final grade was awarded. Whether that as in the English GCSE I don't really know, but as far as I'm aware it's best for the schools to keep the information to themselves till the grades are awarded.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This defintiely happened to DD in science - each of her coursework practicals were a grade lower than she had been told :(
scary mum
Looking for help

Yes and that's not fair, better to not know and assume that you need to do equally well on the written exam than to think oh well I only need such and such in the written to get an A or whatever
moved

Post by moved »

English papers sent off in the first week moved quite a bit, those sent in subsequent weeks barely changed.

DS moved a grade for RE.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Quite a few of my DS2's friends who had their English Language papers remarked came back with a higher grade. My DS had one of his English Language paper's remarked as he had missed out on getting an A* by two marks. It went up by (if I remember correctly) eight marks. The school sent off the whole year's English Literature papers. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence in the marking system.

Edited to add: I just spoke to him and he said one his friends had his Maths GCSE remarked and it went up 24 marks. :shock: :shock: