Bursaries for Coventry Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elsiegee75

Bursaries for Coventry Schools

Post by elsiegee75 »

I am having a similar dilemma at the moment.

My daughter has set her heart on a certain independent school in Coventry. I know every parent thinks their child's a genius - mine is not quite that but I know she would have no trouble with passing the exam.

My issue is I only work part-time and come out with £18k. Her dad is remarried with 2 stepdaughters and although he pays unofficial maintenance he is on a low wage and is generally uninterested in her education. I have had a new boyfriend for just under 3 years, and we have now bought a property together, so have been living together for a year or so. Boyfriend earns a just over twice what I do, but we have an agreement where we half all the bills/mortgage etc and I am responsible for my daughter. I don't think it's appropriate to be asking my boyfriend to pay towards her education when he didn't want any children of his own, even if he does love her to bits, and her dad wouldn't be contributing.

Does anybody know how the system works in Coventry for bursaries? All I can find from the school is that they offer bursaries of 'up to 100%' but I don't know the criteria - would they look at household income? If so, where is the line? Would they count my boyfriend's salary even though he is not responsible for her? Would they count her dad's wages, even though he does not have parental responsibility either?

I just don't know which way to go. I have prepared daughter and said we will do as much as we possibly can to get her in, but in the end it depends on the money...it would have to be a serious bursary and/or a scholarship before I could consider it, but it seems I have to put her through the exams (next year) and get her hopes up before stamping on them.

Help?
hermanmunster

Re: A Moral Dilemma

Post by hermanmunster »

Depending on which school :
Bablake say :
The level of assistance will be dependent upon gross parental income. The award of a Bursary is subject to an annual review of parental income

So presumably would want statements of income from both parents and will probably have a view on the new commitments of each parent. There is an e-mail listed for parents to ask specifically - definitely the best thing to do before you co any further. they state 10-100% bursaries awarded

again King Henry say:
Bursaries are available and are awarded by the Governors on the basis of the entrance examination performance and parental income. Parents who wish to apply for a bursary are asked to tick the appropriate box on the Application Form and will subsequently be required to submit financial details in confidence. Every effort is made to support pupils where there is a difficulty over meeting fees
- they say they offer 10-90%
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now