Should we Appeal (Bucks)? If so, on what grounds?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
EmzMum

Should we Appeal (Bucks)? If so, on what grounds?

Post by EmzMum »

Hello Everyone!

I am sad to say my DD did not get a qualifying score on her 11+ today (118 & 119).

We are very keen to appeal as she is of 'exceptional ability' (her Headteachers words) in English and 'above average' (although not great) at maths.

She is predicted Level 5s for everything (she is currently at Level 5 for Writing and Reading and is a high 4 for maths).

Her headteacher has offered his support with her appeal too.

She was not tutored although I tried to help her at home with practice tests purchased on-line. We only decided to move to Bucks in July and so had her first taste of the 11+ via the familiarisation tests we were sent (I'm sure this is the case for many others too though!)

We are also OOC so she took the test in a school that was not familiar to her. Nor had she ever been in an exam room before the day of the test. She was extremely nervous so I tried to reassure her the best I could. I have no idea if this might count as extenuating circumstances though!

I know, if we are to appeal, I have to have my evidence etc together PDQ so any advice on the best way to proceed would be really appreciated. I have already applied for the appeal pack but have no clue as to the best way to approach this.

Very many thanks in advance
Last edited by EmzMum on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: Should we Appeal? If so, on what grounds?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Emzmum - sorry to hear that your DD missed by a couple of points. good luck with appealing - there is lots of info in the appeals FAQ here : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

main message is that the most important thing to do is to collect evidence of high academic ability
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi Emzmum - sorry to hear that your DD missed by a couple of points. good luck with appealing - there is lots of info in the appeals FAQ here : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

main message is that the most important thing to do is to collect evidence of high academic ability
Hi everyone. Can someone help? Are the guides under the appeals section here still relevant given that the independent appeals panels will be sitting in bucks for the first time, or should I just ignore the points about presentations and questions from the panel. Thanks
EmzMum

Post by EmzMum »

That's what I was wondering jpk! Good point :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Jpk wrote:Can someone help? Are the guides under the appeals section here still relevant given that the independent appeals panels will be sitting in bucks for the first time, or should I just ignore the points about presentations and questions from the panel.
You can ignore all of those points if you plan to opt for the Review process rather than wait for an Independent Appeal Panel (IAP) hearing in May.

To understand the difference between the two, please take a look at section B18 of the Appeal Q&As http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , which describes the difference between an Appeal and a non-statutory Review.
EmzMum

Post by EmzMum »

Dear Sally-Anne,

Because we are being counted as OOC in the first round of allocations (despite living literally 3 minutes from our preferred school) it is likely we will have to appeal on those grounds too. In your opinion, would it then be better to go straight to an IAP considering the limitations posed by the review?

Thank you.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Jpk wrote:Can someone help? Are the guides under the appeals section here still relevant given that the independent appeals panels will be sitting in bucks for the first time, or should I just ignore the points about presentations and questions from the panel.
You can ignore all of those points if you plan to opt for the Review process rather than wait for an Independent Appeal Panel (IAP) hearing in May.

To undeerstand the diffrene between the two, please take a look at section B18 of the Appeal Q&As http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , which describes the difference between an Appeal and a non-statutory Review.
Great thanks. So I guess my first question is which should I go for. The head teacher review or the appeal? Is this the sort of topic I should raise under my own thread?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

EmzMum wrote:Because we are being counted as OOC in the first round of allocations (despite living literally 3 minutes from our preferred school) it is likely we will have to appeal on those grounds too. In your opinion, would it then be better to go straight to an IAP considering the limitations posed by the review?
The decision to opt for a review or an appeal will depend on a lot of factors - score, strength of school support, academic evidence, etc. If you can bear with us, Etienne is beavering away in the background on an update to the Appeals Q&As that I am sure will be very helpful to you.

I am slightly baffled by your comment about being OOC and yet 3 minutes from your first preference school! (Forgive me - it has been a long day ... :roll: ) I can't immediately think which school you are referring to, so if you could let me know, I can advise on that more effectively. Please send me a PM if you prefer to do that.
Jpk wrote:Great thanks. So I guess my first question is which should I go for. The head teacher review or the appeal? Is this the sort of topic I should raise under my own thread?
As mentioned to EmzMum, please hold off on general questions while Etienne updates the Q&As.

You are most welcome to start your personal thread on Appeals now with as much information (academic evidence/extenuating circumstances) as you have to hand at present.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There may be a bit of fine tuning still to do, but I've now updated most of the Bucks section.
See E9 onwards:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is to be anticipated that many parents will be coming on to the forum anxiously seeking advice whether they should focus their efforts on a review or an appeal. There is no easy answer to this. All we can say is "Think very carefully - be aware that if you opt for a review, the scope of any subsequent appeal to an independent panel could be severely curtailed".
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=29356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
EmzMum

EmzMum Appeal

Post by EmzMum »

11+ Scores: 118 & 119

Academic Achievement: Predicted 5s in all SATS subjects. Currently at 5 for reading and writing and high 4 for maths. CAT score of 141 (VR); 110 (Maths) and 105 (NVR).

Excellent reputation at school for being hard working and high ability (especially in English). Both head and class teacher happy to do whatever is necessary to support her case. Head said he would give her 1:1 (I heard about these scores and inquired as to what he would grade her if he was asked to). No rankings or official head recommendation prior to 11+ as waaaaay OOC in a non-selective county.

Extenuating circumstances: How far back am I allowed to go?? :lol: Her father and I split 4 years ago due to domestic violence. Picked up and started again with my other daughter in Northampton. I have spent a LOT of time working. Then started my degree and am just about to finish. DD has coped admirably but has definitely not had an easy time of it. During 11+ process, Dad had another baby with his new gf and stopped child support. Lost house, needed to move back in with my parents. DD was very nervous about exam (strange environment and wanted it SO much), may have had a negative impact. Have since found out tutoring is ubiquitous in Bucks, DD was not tutored (silly me, I thought it was meant to be down to natural ability :roll: ).

Not sure how many of these are 'real' extenuating circumstances (if any!) and how many will cause appeals panel to play imaginary violins at me!!

Just as a side note: While looking for a place to rent, I phoned Bucks for advice on moving. Were told about 11+ and 'advised' on procedures for applying for schools. Bucks CC did not inform me or direct me toward literature that explicated the allocation rules for admission to secondary school. We are moving to Bucks so I can begin my PhD in January and I was informed that as long as we moved before then, our details would be updated in time for March allocations. When I did this (via email) I was informed that I was too late. The tenants in our new house cannot move before 15th December which means we can't move into the county until then (Fiddlesticks!!). In the 'offending' email, Bucks decided to quote the never-before-mentioned parent's guide which states a cut-off date of November 14th for moving in order to be counted as in-county in the first round. Not to mention the fact that I was told I should apply for secondary school via our home county and having read the dreaded parent's guide, it turns out you only do that if you are moving AFTER November 14th (again, not informed of this distinction, just told to apply via our Council)

Of course, as her Mother, I am absolutely sure she is GS material. Again, how much f that is motherly bias and how much is reality is questionable, I'm sure. Don't expect or want special treatment but I feel if given the chance, she will prove herself to be a more than worthy candidate. To be honest, I don't think she failed this test as much as I failed her.

Onward and upward though, I shall absolutely fight her corner until every avenue has been exhausted. If nothing else, we may well be the most resilient family in the county!!

My sorry tale of woe haha. Sorry if it's slightly rambling/incoherent, I am in no fit state of mind today :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now