Sooo Close! (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
instantsunshine

Sooo Close! (Bucks)

Post by instantsunshine »

DD scored 118 & 120. I rang Bucks to request forms / information for appeal (not being able to take in all the info on here in my state of mind at the time) & was told there was no longer a right to appeal for secondary transfer just the selection review panel. Is this really correct? Doesn't seem to be what Etienne saying? DD is at a private OOC non-partner school so no SATs, no HT recommendation in advance etc. She is considered very academically able - particularly at maths & is on the school's academic G&T programme (this year only though - was on sport one before but school have policy of not allowing DC to be on both). Beyond school report (last couple were v good) not sure what evidence I can collate. Any help (in simple terms please as brain finding it hard still to process info) would be gratefully received. Thanks!
Etienne

Re: Sooo Close! (Bucks)

Post by Etienne »

You can opt for a review or for an appeal
- or for both (but an unsuccessful review could have serious implications for any subsequent appeal).

See (independent schools):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See (different situation, but need for more evidence):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
instantsunshine

Thanks for the pointers Etienne. I'm very confused about whether it would be better to go for the review panel or for an appeal. As DD 120 / 118 - if the school will support & provide academic evidence then is there an advantage waiting for an appeal? Not sure if the review also requires extenuating evidence in order to achieve successful outcome? If so not sure we have any. Really appreciate your help - so worried not to mess up this stage. We are in catchment for v popular Bucks school and also worried waiting for appeal may mean she wont get a place there even if successful. Wish we'd moved her to a Bucks primary a couple of years ago so had benefit of sitting tests in familiar circs with head teacher geared up for this - but only one on offer at the time wasn't good and hindsight is a wonderful thing...
instantsunshine

Sorry Etienne / Sally-Anne - another question. Have just seen this on Bucks website & wondered whether this means the IAP could refuse to consider the aspect of not passing the test? Not sure what "ordinarily" means in this context - what would we need to do to ensure they at least consider the appeal? Can you help please?!

[quote][/quote]After places have been allocated, parents will be entitled to make representations to an Independent Appeal Panel if their child has been refused admission because the school is full. An Independent Appeal Panel hearing will not ordinarily carry out a full review of a pupil’s capacity to pass the selection test as that process should take place at the Selection Review.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure if the review also requires extenuating evidence in order to achieve successful outcome?
The exact words are "The SRP (selection review panel) will normally expect there to be strong evidence of both high academic ability and exceptional reasons for underperformance in the tests."
Have just seen this on Bucks website & wondered whether this means the IAP could refuse to consider the aspect of not passing the test? Not sure what "ordinarily" means in this context - what would we need to do to ensure they at least consider the appeal? Can you help please?!
The only way of ensuring the IAP will consider your appeal in full is to skip the review.

"Ordinarily"

They're hoping that most parents will go straight for a review and that, as a consequence, most of them will normally lose the right to have their case heard in full by an independent appeal panel. Compare this with what happens in Kent and Lincs. where admission authorities do not behave in this way, and parents do not lose the right to have their case for selection heard at appeal.
Etienne
instantsunshine

Thanks again Etienne - so good to have someone experienced (& not emotionally involved!) to ask. Can't help feeling Bucks are being less than open in the way they are phrasing things - particularly knowing how desperate parents are likely to be. Will probably be back with further qns before long but much appreciated in the meantime.
instantsunshine

Apologies - Quicker new qn(s) than even I thought likely :roll: - if we paid for a remark by hand & analysis - could the scores go down as well as either stay the same or even go up (ever hopeful)! ie could we potentially be disadvantaged? Is analysis ever in your experience useful for appeals? DD is a September birthday so standardisation does her no favours. Sorry for rapid fire! Thanks!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please see my reply on another thread, here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=29747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
instantsunshine

Thanks Sally-Anne. Nothing ventured as they say etc. Only worried that score could go down which would be v upsetting!
instantsunshine

If we go for appeal rather than review I am assuming we will have to also give reasons why we want our particular grammar school (DCHS) as it tends to be v popular. Is there a thread giving guidance on which sort of things are persuasive & which aren't? I guess having DD1 in 6th form won't help massively (or at all) & I'm told saying you want single sex is not persuasive. DD2 has no SENs & we're not thinking of having her taken in to care (although if she doesn't tidy her room sometime soon we may review that :lol: ) - not really sure where to go with this. Thanks in anticipation!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now