Dd no qualification for bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miltonkeynesmum

Dd no qualification for bucks

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi everyone just need some info , have read info on reviews and appeals just wanting to know if we go for review and give them info on academic ability but are unsuccesful can this same info not be used in summer for the appeal, also what is the process for the ht reports is it same for out of county as it is for in county . What i mean does her head have to provide evidence of how many students sat the 11+and how many passed etc. My daughter scored 109 and 114 on 11+ she is in top groups at school , very independent learner, recent mock sats show 5c reading 4a/5c for maths and English teachers will support her application. She is devastated hasn't stopped crying and thinks she's complete failure have tried to turn negative into positive but very hard esp since all friends have passed, wouldn't have made her go through this if didn't think she was capable, did have exceptionally bad first day started crying as soon as she finished saying she couldn't see the clock because she was at back and missed two questions invigilators not very helpful. Soooooo confused what to do review or not to review that is the question also her 1st choice is Ahs assuming this will be oversubscribed so maybe too late then
EmzMum

Re: Dd no qualification for bucks

Post by EmzMum »

Sorry to hear about your bad news! :(

If you look on the thread that contains details of our appeal, Etienne has helpfully posted a guide to appeals/reviews that you might find useful.

We are also out-of-county and so do not have the same recommendations/ht reviews as Bucks schools do but I am going to ask her headteacher to do one now for her. I shall also ask her class teacher to do a short report. Hopefully, in the absence of the other evidence, this will compensate!
miltonkeynesmum

Thanks emzmum I'm thinking to do same teachers very supportive also wanting to know do you think educational psychologist report would be any use they are very expensive also time constraints if we go for review has to be done by 14 dec need to get forms etc
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What i mean does her head have to provide evidence of how many students sat the 11+and how many passed etc
No - this won't apply to out-county or to non-partner schools.

Review panels are going to discover just how difficult it is to assess cases consistently. For example, there will be:
  • out-county schools that have no 'context' for headteacher recommendations
    independent schools that don't do SATs.
    schools that don't do CATs
They will also discover that some cases can be full of contradictory evidence!

See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
miltonkeynesmum

Thanks Etienne so what I need from the head is to fill in the review forms I will get from Bucks and a 1.1 recommendation and possibly a statement from her teacher she's already got 4a/5c for maths and english mock sats . Also can I pick your brains on the benefits of an educational psychologists report

I'm really stuck as to go for review or appeal
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:Thanks Etienne so what I need from the head is to fill in the review forms I will get from Bucks and a 1.1 recommendation and possibly a statement from her teacher she's already got 4a/5c for maths and english mock sats .
You need as much evidence as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also can I pick your brains on the benefits of an educational psychologists report
Do you have alternative evidence of reasoning ability such as CATs or NFER VR with very high scores? If not, you may need to consider the possibility of an EP report. Read the Q&As, for example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm really stuck as to go for review or appeal
I'm afraid only you can decide.
Do you have exceptional reasons for underperformance (which appear to be required for a review)?
Etienne
miltonkeynesmum

Thanks will try and get as much info on academic capability as possible also no extenuating circumstances she just panicked and then went down hill from there.

Do you think it would be beneficial to ask for the script to be hand marked and obtain a raw score and analysis just to see where her weak points were?

Thank you
miltonkeynesmum

Just had a thought what about in year transfers after sept
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You can only ask for an in-year transfer after September if your child has not taken the 11+ in the normal round this year. I assume that is what you were thinking of?

There are also 12+ and 13+ entrance tests, but you would need to live extremely close to a grammar school because the places are generally allocated by either distance from school gates or a combination of score and distance - it varies from school to school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sorry, I missed your previous post.
miltonkeynesmum wrote:Do you think it would be beneficial to ask for the script to be hand marked and obtain a raw score and analysis just to see where her weak points were?
You could do, but please be aware that it would automatically be given to the review panel/appeal panel.

I have also posted elsewhere that I am not convinced that the time frame will allow Admissions to process such requests before the deadline for submitting a review. You would therefore potentially be unable to comment on the remark in your submission to the panel, leaving them to draw their own conclusions!

You may find this thread of interest before applying for a remark: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=24313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should you decide to apply, these are the arrangments. This is a direct quote from the Head Teachers' Manual, provided to them by Bucks County Council:
Where a child has taken part in the 11+ testing process we are willing to provide, upon receipt of the appropriate fee:

1. Raw scores only - £10 fee

2. Raw scores, test papers remarked by hand and then analysed - £40 fee

We will only offer this service at certain times of the year immediately following the release of test results, and therefore all requests must be made within 21 days of the parents receiving notification of their child’s performance in the tests. Where a request is received after this date, the LA may refuse to provide the information.
Under Schedule 7(9) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, we are not required to provide exam scripts or the information recorded in them, hence we will only provide this information on the payment of a £40 fee as we are required to undertake extra work in order to provide the requested information.

In all instances, we would suggest that the parent discusses their intention to request such information with you. All requests must be made in writing and be accompanied by the appropriate fee.

We hope that parents will be able to request, and pay for, the services above online, and where a parent requests the information in 1 or 2 above, we will tell them how they may do this.

Any parent paying by cheque should make it payable to Buckinghamshire County Council.

Where this information is requested we will, in all cases, provide it to the Selection Review Panel.
The request should be submitted to the following department:
The Admissions and Transport Team, County Hall, Aylesbury, HP20 1UZ
E-mail: admissions@buckscc.gov.uk Telephone: 01296 383250 Fax: 01296 383560