buzzybee bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buzzybee

buzzybee bucks appeal

Post by buzzybee »

Hi all
Firstly i am normally known as mumpkin1 but for some reason i am having problems logging on so have had to create a new account!

near miss here, 118 & 119. We are thinking of going for a review and basing it on high academic evidence. Dd has currently end of year 6 high 5 predictions for english and maths, very good year 5 report stating well above average comments throughout & the past 3 years vr cat scores of 124, 122 & 130, dd has this month received a gold award certificate for the schools primary maths challenge. Is this enough?

We will be seeing the headteacher this week & will find out then her thoughts. Hopefully dd will be well supported.

I have been reading through all the sticky's which are most helpful.

Good
buzzybee

Re: buzzybee bucks appeal

Post by buzzybee »

Luck to everyone!

sorry i am typing on a new tab and still trying to get to grips with it!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is this enough?
It looks quite reasonable so far. If the head has given a '1' recommendation, and if 90% of children at the school with a '1' have qualified, that will add a lot of weight to the head's support.

No one can say for sure what will happen, though.
For example, a review is said to require 'exceptional reasons for underperformance in the tests'.
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Thanks etienne - just found out that 6 pupils in the year got 120, so a lot of near misses. However, i am not sure of the pupil's other scores. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not, i suppose it depends on the headreacher's rankings and if they expected to pass or not. I think the headteacher's summary is going to be more important than ever in a review case it seems?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think the headteacher's summary is going to be more important than ever in a review case it seems?
I don't really think so - it should be of equal importance.

6 x 120! I wonder what their other score was?
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Hi, just a quick update; we have seen the headteacher and she has giving dd a 1:1 recommendation which is great. Has said she will fully support appeal and dd is ideal candidate for grammar school and would excel in that environment. Such a relief!

Not much more to add at the moment. HT would not give figures of how many in the school passed but did say that this year there were quite a few near misses, as I said before 6 x 120 and at least 3 x 119 that we know of apart from dd. However, apart from a couple, we do not know the other scores. The HT did say that speaking to other primary head's that this seemed a common theme for this year. Not sure what that tells us! We get the summary sheet from the Head at the end of the week.

I wonder how many in the County passed overall?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

buzzybee wrote:we have seen the headteacher and she has giving dd a 1:1 recommendation which is great. Has said she will fully support appeal and dd is ideal candidate for grammar school and would excel in that environment.
Good news indeed!
Not much more to add at the moment. HT would not give figures of how many in the school passed but did say that this year there were quite a few near misses, as I said before 6 x 120 and at least 3 x 119 that we know of apart from dd. However, apart from a couple, we do not know the other scores. The HT did say that speaking to other primary head's that this seemed a common theme for this year. Not sure what that tells us! We get the summary sheet from the Head at the end of the week.

I wonder how many in the County passed overall?
I am beginning to wonder that as well. I will start a thread on the Bucks section to discuss it so that your appeal thread doesn't get hijacked.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Afternoon

I have sent something to the appeals box, if you don't mind having a look when you get a moment. Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could you post some questions on here in very general terms, so that you don't reveal personal information? (You could mention 'out-of-school activities', for example, without saying what they were.)

Unless you do that, there's nothing on here for me to respond to!
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

I'll do my best Etienne.......

Without writing a long essay, if a child was training at a high level for an outside activity from school (National level) in the lead up to the 11+, would this information be suitable to put on the review form for appeal? Personally my dd was coping well with nerves and the extra hours that she was putting in for her outside activity but maybe I underestimated the pressure of it all happening at the same time. Competition was 4 days after the 2nd test and she was training throughout. I did think that doing the extra hours would take her mind off the 11+ but with only 2 marks short maybe it did have an affect?

Briefly, in my message re the school and it's recent report, is it worth mentioning or not? DD would have required the extension of work but this was a failing at the school. In the HT's summary it does mention that dd rised to the challenges offered to her and seeking her own extension work. Not sure what to do on that one.

Thanks again for all your advice, I do appreciate it :)