What to include in Bucks Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
carolinens

What to include in Bucks Selection Review

Post by carolinens »

My child missed the dreaded 121 by 6 points despite being ranked 1/1 by the head teacher. He is clearly on target for solid level 5 at end of Y6 and we have strong support from school for his Selection Review. As the new paper based Review is likely to be very brief I am not sure how much of your historic guidance on appeals to use. We have an Educational Assessment prepared at 9 years by a teacher with the following qualifications 'BSc PGCE Dip SpLD SpLDAPC Practicing Certificate issued by PATOSS (SASC registered)'. She is not an Ed Phsyc. I am not sure if this is sufficiently high powered to be of consequence. We are considering just putting in the page with the test results, but again we do not know how exceptional those results are, as simply above average doesn't seem likely to be enough. He scored general intelligence quotient 119, A number of the other tests put him in the 82nd to 92nd percentile rank, but a few had him below the 50th (alternate rapid naming). Can you offer any advice?
Etienne

Re: What to include in Bucks Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

I suspect the guidance we've always given with regard to academic evidence will be useful for the review process too.

Although I believe you're right that most review decisions will be taken (relatively) quickly, this doesn't mean that the panel members concerned won't study all the paperwork beforehand. It's important therefore to submit all the available academic evidence that clearly supports your case.

A general intelligence quotient of 119, and other tests ranging from the 82nd to 92nd percentile, looks a bit borderline to me, so it won't be easy deciding whether to use this evidence.

Do you have the 'exceptional reasons' which appear to be normally required for a successful review? With a score of 115 (you don't say what the other score was), even an appeal panel would wonder about reasons for underperformance.
Etienne
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

Yes. His grandfather had a severe near death experience at that time, of which we notified the school. I am now getting doctor's evidence too, as I suspect just giving the doctor's contact details will not be enough. Other score 113, despite him scoring between 72 & 78 on all the practice papers he did.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suspect just giving the doctor's contact details will not be enough
You're quite right - no one will make enquiries.

Other factors that might be relevant:
• the exact dates from start to finish
• whether grandfather was close by or a long way away
• whether the school can confirm that your son seemed withdrawn, whether there is evidence that his school work was affected.

An appeal panel has the opportunity to ask questions, and to try and elicit the facts.
With a review panel it's entirely up to you anticipate what might be required and to submit all relevant information.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:
I suspect just giving the doctor's contact details will not be enough
You're quite right - no one will make enquiries.
Etienne is of course right on this. I often get very frustrated when I get the appeal docs through with phrases such as 'please contact x for more information' or often on the school letter of 'recommendation' 'we would be happy to supply any extra information the panel would like'. ARGH!

Panels can't ask for anything. It's down to you to supply everything you want the panel to consider for your side of the appeal. Do read Etiennes excellent Appeal FAQ's for details of what to include (and equally, not include - such as that Certificate of Excellence from Year 2 for Macramé).
Capers
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

Grandfather was 2 hours away. Does that help or hinder our case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It depends - you would have to explain the impact on the family. How often did you visit? Did you take your son with you, or were other arrangements made for him? How was he affected?
whether the school can confirm that your son seemed withdrawn, whether there is evidence that his school work was affected.
This bit might be more important.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now