21 TYPES ,NFER FORMAT..VERBAL REASONING....HELP MODERATORS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ZNOTO

21 TYPES ,NFER FORMAT..VERBAL REASONING....HELP MODERATORS

Post by ZNOTO »

Dear Patricia,
We are preparing for NFER 21types verbal reasoning. MCQ Format ..already used Susan Daugherty techniques book and her other books ,Bond assessment papers all ages,most IPS papers /books and even Babara Walsh books dual format ..using various publishers scores variable 90percent most times.not yet done NFER and Bright Sparks mcq format.
Is it advisable to purchase TUTORS E-PAPERS AND BOTH VR CDs for more practice or just do over the previously completed books/practice papers?

If at all we need to buy TUTOR questions,which would you suggest,considering the fact that we have most of the verbal reasoning materials one can purchase in the major bookshops or publishing websites?
patricia

Re: 21 TYPES ,NFER FORMAT..VERBAL REASONING....HELP MODERATO

Post by patricia »

Dear Znoto

At this stage of the time line, bearing in mind, you already have so many available products, I would now recommend, the Bright Sparks series followed by NFER, ensure you also include types HIKNOS, as revision, amongst others, [as identified by IPS] during the completion of the NFER tests.

Should you have any more children going through the process, there is no need to cover Bond and Daughtrey books 1 to 7, they are irrelevant to Bucks VR.

Patricia
znoto

Post by znoto »

thank you
nisahnt

Re: 21 TYPES ,NFER FORMAT..VERBAL REASONING....HELP MODERATO

Post by nisahnt »

hi patricia i am just a silent reader. i got all the answers to my qstns. so i have come after long time to ask you something my little devil has completed all papers AFN, IPS, TUTORS,CD1, GOING THROUGH CD2, FREEBIES, TODAY HE FINISHED SUSAN DAUGHTREY (ALL 8 PAPERS). in papers format he scored 75+/80 in most papers but SD5 he made 10 mistakes, well we have dealt with that. now my qstn. is that earlier you adviced that he should have Nfer papers neaer the big day,sowhat should we do now. reading problem is same as before HE JUST HATES IT and not very keen on CDS (i bought vocab. builder as well) either. whole summer holidays he hardly did anyhting. he enjoys doing test papers and thats it. i am worried if real tests are going to be difficult that all of the ones he has already done then it can cost us a lot. so i really need your advice i have got shop bought Nfer and 4 test we recived in information pack. we live in berkshire but he is going to try for BUCKS so do you think they will have practice tests in school as well. sorry wanted to ask just one qstn. but.........anyways thankyou very much Patricia. nishant
patricia wrote:Dear Znoto

At this stage of the time line, [bearing in mind, you already have so many available products ] I would now recommend, the Bright Sparks series followed by NFER ......ensure you also include types HIKNOS, as revision, amongst others, [as identified by IPS] during the completion of the NFER tests.

Should you have any more children going through the process, there is no need to cover Bond and Daughtrey books 1 to 7, they are irrelevant to Bucks VR. The Tutors would have been a better buy.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nishant

If your son is regulary scoring 75+/80, he is doing very well.

You say you have 4 tests from information pack, I am assuming this is the 5 familiarisation sessions [ in one booklet, not a test ] and 3 tests A, 1, and 2.

Your next step is to ...

1] Complete the 5 sessions, your son will whizz through these by the sound of it because they are aimed at an easier level

2] Complete test A from info pack, this is easier than the real test.

3] Now go back to NFER, complete these, in between these tests, ensure you practice those HIKNOS questions, amongst others.

4] Lastly tests 1 and 2 from info pack.

You need to distribute these in an even manner [probably one a week, sometimes 2 ]up until the date of his tests, as you are sitting out of County, have you got your dates yet?

Patrica

thanks

Post by Guest »

yes patricia your guess is right. yes i will try to push him to go through CDs. there are still about 6-7 weeks left, as he enjoys doing tests do you think we should repeat few of ALREADY DONE ONES (he scored low marks in) because knowing him- he will be totally engaged with electronics devices if his devil mind is without any sensible thoughts/work. he already plays a lot of football and on these devices (mind you it's summer holidays). i am very positive that if i will reduce his 11+ work load he will start taking it too easy. so now problem is, i am running out of stuff and don't want him just sitting and watching screens, nearer the time. i don't know if it is a good idea to repeat test papers. as i said everyday he is asking for test and i have to make excuse (may be he is doing this so that he can get away from reading). he is absolutely calm and relaxed about it and we don't talk much about it. when i ask him how he feels about 11+ real test, he just say calmly i think it is going to be OK. patricia i am so glad that we followed your wonderful advice to do it DIY. i must say i am one of those lucky ones (uptill now- don't know how lucky we are going to be in NOVEMBER).anyways patricia thanks for all your help.oh yeah just wanted to ask if i should post the marks he has scored in case anybody wants to compare it with their own kids performance (strictly for prents ref. only). please advice if it is going to be of any use.thanks.nishant
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now