Selection Review supporting docs?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksanxiousmum

Selection Review supporting docs?

Post by bucksanxiousmum »

Hi

We are appealing DD's 117 result on the grounds that she is predicted level 5 for maths and level 6 for English.

I've just spoken to someone at the admissions team who recommended that I enclose DD's report for Year 5 with my forms - I've looked through it but the teacher assessed pages only say she is a 4B for english and science. Maths has no level. The optional SATs results at the end are 5 for English and 4C for maths .... is this good enough to include or am I undermining our case???

School supportive of appeal by the way... I was just concerned by the page in the '11+ Results' booklet which seemed to suggest we should include school reports..

Any advice appreciated!
Sally-Anne

Re: Selection Review supporting docs?

Post by Sally-Anne »

bucksanxiousmum wrote:We are appealing DD's 117 result on the grounds that she is predicted level 5 for maths and level 6 for English.

I've just spoken to someone at the admissions team who recommended that I enclose DD's report for Year 5 with my forms - I've looked through it but the teacher assessed pages only say she is a 4B for english and science. Maths has no level. The optional SATs results at the end are 5 for English and 4C for maths .... is this good enough to include or am I undermining our case???
The 4C for maths in Y5 might give the panel cause to doubt the prediction of Level 5 in Y6. With the usual rte of prgrogess being 2 sub-levels per year, that would only take her to 4A in Y6. Likewise, the 4B for English could indicate that the Level 6 predication is slightly over-optimistic.

Has the Head predicted a sub-level for maths, or just "Level 5"? If the Head's summary sheet is strongly worded and her predictions are made with confidence I would probably be inclined to leave the report out, but the trouble is that we have no way of knowing whether a review panel will look upon that unfavourably. I am afraid it may be "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
bucksanxiousmum

Post by bucksanxiousmum »

Thank you Sally-Anne; I've just received the headteacher's form which more or less states everything I need so will not bother with the report. My only concern now is what to put on my submission (as the school seem to have covered everything on theirs!).
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

bucksanxiousmum wrote:Hi

We are appealing DD's 117 result on the grounds that she is predicted level 5 for maths and level 6 for English.

School supportive of appeal by the way... I was just concerned by the page in the '11+ Results' booklet which seemed to suggest we should include school reports..

Any advice appreciated!

Apologies for hijacking this, but our school head has said that level 5 is the highest that can be given by a primary school, yet I see lots of references towards level 6. Should I challenge my head, or will the review panel view a 6 as really a high 5. Thanks
Amber

Post by Amber »

Children can be entered for level 6 papers if the school chooses. In reality, level 6 English in primary school is vanishingly rare. In Maths it's a bit more attainable as schools can teach the skills needed to pass a special level 6 paper designed for KS2 students; which isn't actually the same as a 'real' level 6 when they get to secondary school. A jump from 4 to 6 in a school year would be going some.