school bags

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northkentmum

school bags

Post by Northkentmum »

Yes I know this is so trivial but........ am I the only one who suffered the trauma of choosing a school bag!!!

Spent all day walking around Bluewater into every shop, department store, sports shop looking for a suitable bag.

Phoned school who said most pupils have black rucksack, ideally with minimal logo on it. Ok I thought that should be easy.......... WRONG!!!!! I was prepared to pay for good quality bag that will sustain all her books, files etc, her idea of suitable bag was some flimsey fashion type backback that if you put in one copy of "janet and john" (OK showing my age!) it would fall apart.

I had pre-teen strops and humps and only hours later did she wear me down to a half decent "O'Neil" backpack with a little bit of girlie colour on it and we managed to negotiate a truce! She's only just turned 11....... 2 years to teens, is this what I have to look forward to!!!!
NKM

school bags

Post by Guest »

You are not alone NKM! School bags are definately a cause of major trauma. Finallly managed to persuade my daughter that something weatherproof with some space for books would be the best option only to find out that the friend she's going to her new school with has something more along the lines of a fashion bag. Oh joy!

Hopefully once she gets to school she'll discover that lots of girls have sensible bags. Either that or there'll be more bag shopping to do. Can't wait for the teen years.
Catherine

Re: school bags

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:Finallly managed to persuade my daughter that something weatherproof with some space for books would be the best option only to find out that the friend she's going to her new school with has something more along the lines of a fashion bag.
That's girls for you..My son couldn't care less :D
Sally-Anne

Re: school bags

Post by Sally-Anne »

Catherine wrote:That's girls for you..My son couldn't care less :D
Absolutely - wondered what on earth was going on here, but it's obviously a girl thing! Son's new bag was chosen in roughly 10 seconds from a huge choice of one in the standard uniform supplier!
Own Bag trauma avoidance

Post by Own Bag trauma avoidance »

Our school issues it's own haversack bag with the school logo on it only 7.99-lasts for years-perhaps a suggestion at various parents associations........
MelX

Big Bag

Post by MelX »

I gave in to my son who 'really' wanted the special bag produced for the school with the logo. Off he went weighed down with all that stuff, books, dictionaries, lunch etc. That was last September. By Spring 'that bag' was abandoned only to be replaced by old smaller back pack. The special one is "Just so big mum!!"

My son too was just like a Tortoise as he left on his first day, smaller then his friends and only just 11 I too wept as he waved.

To all of you are are waving off your 'Tortoise's' next week. Please do not fear they will be fine and although its a big change it won't be long before the "come out of thier shells!!"..... Sorry couldn't resisit that LOL

Good Luck

Mel
x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

*sigh*

I remember teh days when my son wasn't bothered by labels or fashion.....

Yours
Mother of a cool 14 year old (with a rapidly diminishing bank balance)
Karen

Post by Karen »

My son's school supply and recommend a backpack developed by the charity, BackCare, to help prevent spinal damage. It's not a huge bag, but seems to have enough room for everything he'll need; including side pouches for the bottled water and even a concealed MP3/phone pocket with a headphone outlet! Whilst not the cheapest, it does meet with his approval as well as mine. Though this time next year he will probably copy his brother and take the smallest bag he can find for the books and stuff his blazer pockets with everything else. Oh well, at least I'll get a bag I can take on holiday that won't be a pain to carry. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Karen wrote:My son's school supply and recommend a backpack developed by the charity, BackCare, to help prevent spinal damage. It's not a huge bag, but seems to have enough room for everything he'll need; including side pouches for the bottled water and even a concealed MP3/phone pocket with a headphone outlet! Whilst not the cheapest, it does meet with his approval as well as mine. Though this time next year he will probably copy his brother and take the smallest bag he can find for the books and stuff his blazer pockets with everything else. Oh well, at least I'll get a bag I can take on holiday that won't be a pain to carry. :lol:
Trust me, you wouldn't want to put anything of yours in it after it's been transporting boy stuff for a while. Even if it was still in one piece!
Karen

Post by Karen »

Anonymous wrote:
Karen wrote:My son's school supply and recommend a backpack developed by the charity, BackCare, to help prevent spinal damage. It's not a huge bag, but seems to have enough room for everything he'll need; including side pouches for the bottled water and even a concealed MP3/phone pocket with a headphone outlet! Whilst not the cheapest, it does meet with his approval as well as mine. Though this time next year he will probably copy his brother and take the smallest bag he can find for the books and stuff his blazer pockets with everything else. Oh well, at least I'll get a bag I can take on holiday that won't be a pain to carry. :lol:
Trust me, you wouldn't want to put anything of yours in it after it's been transporting boy stuff for a while. Even if it was still in one piece!
Who said I was going to put anything of mine in it?!! It will be stuffed with all those electronic gaming essentials the boys can't seem to go on holiday without. It's just a pity they can't summon up the strength to carry it.