Change to Nonsuch test for 2014 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2outof3

Change to Nonsuch test for 2014 entry

Post by 2outof3 »

Those of you interested in applying to Nonsuch next year should check out the proposed admission arrangements that are now open for consultation. http://www.nonsuch.co.uk/admissions/adconsult.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Main change for 11 plus entry is the test looks like it will only be VR and English. Equal weighting and multichoice. They've obviously decided that NVR ability isn't what they're looking for.......That's the third change to the admission test in five years!

There are also changes to sixth form entry and they've upped the grade requirement to 3 Cs at AS to be able to continue to A2.
DIY Mum3

Re: Change to Nonsuch test for 2014 entry

Post by DIY Mum3 »

No NVR! That would have made life so much easier!! Oh well, too late for us :(

Wonder what Tiffin girls will come up with for next year?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think subjects wise, TGS tests are very comprehensive. They will probably tweak the weightage a bit and perhaps, at some times change to CEM rather than GL. I will also like them to test all papers before CAF date so that parents have full picture and can make better informed decision.

Also thanks to 2outof3 for posting Nonsuch consultations.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am amazed schools have been allowed to get away with a second round after the CAF date. They are setting themselves up for grounds for lots of appeals. Hopefully they will toe the line, like everyone else has had to, next year. DG
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Just English and VR is very biased towards literacy - and the opposite direction to most of the test changes going on elsewhere which seem to be moving more towards including NVR and maths.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Many schools in and around London have been actually dropping NVR and instead testing in English & Maths (e.g. Wilson's, QE). Some in addition have VR (Sutton Grammar, Wallington County, Wallington Girls). HBS also dropped NVR in favour of English, Maths & VR (which was more of English, rather than typical VR paper).

It would be interesting to see what would be like if Tiffins stage 1 test is of English & Maths rather than VR/NVR.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I would have thought most schools would actually like to see a written essay of some sort as part of their selection process (particularly when you consider how many subjects require good literacy) but having to mark 1600 odd essays must be a nightmare. Having said that, Wallington boys and Wilsons manage it as part of their one round entrance test, so it's obviously possible.

I am surprised though that Nonsuch have abandoned any testing of numeracy, be it via a NVR test or a basic maths test. They obviously don't think it's going to be a problem, however and in some respects a maths curriculum based test does favour those who have been well taught and who have covered more of the curriculum. Although VR does favour those who have been "coached" you can also be good at VR by just being a prolific reader and having seen a few papers. Also, I really don't think that any amount of coaching will make you better at a multi choice comprehension paper - reading is everything there!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I disagree with the last line. You can be taught comprehension and creative writing without being a reader. You are just taught to recognise how the author is writing and how to do it yourself. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Daogroupie wrote:I disagree with the last line. You can be taught comprehension and creative writing without being a reader. You are just taught to recognise how the author is writing and how to do it yourself. DG
I find it hard to comprehend this; I always thought that good reading and well developed vocab. is must for good comprehension and writing, but then I am just a novice in 11+ exams.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Very interesting. I also noted that GCSE results in languages where one or other parent speaks that language as their mother tongue are to be specifically excluded. There has been a lot of discussion locally about integration problems at Nonsuch as well as comment that some of the intake has floundered when it comes to written English once at the school. It would appear that the school had similar concerns and this is an attempt to resolve those issues. Had they made these changes last year DD would almost certainly been in with a very good chance. As it is she didn't get in and I count my lucky stars that the decision was made for us. With the benefit of another couple of years working out what rocks her boat I know it would have been very wrong for her.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now