Article

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Muggle

Article

Post by Muggle »

In The Mail online today ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... actor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ginx

Re: Article

Post by ginx »

Interesting. Still find it unbelievable that dc are coached from the age of just seven. I think ten's about right, but I know plenty of dp's pay for coaching for years. Must feel annoying if your dc doesn't then pass the 11+

Is Kent the most competitive county for grammar school places?

And "lifestyle coaches"? £60 per session or more? Aren't we supposed to be "lifestyle coaches"? With help from school if necessary?

I don't understand some people! More money than sense? Is it good for the child?
mystery

Post by mystery »

A g++gle search reveals that this review first seemed to be mentioned in the national press in March 2012. Anyone got any up to date news on it?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm a bit worried about this. When will we know what the test consists of? KCC usually posts the dates and type of papers on their sites a few months before. So, do I carry on with the verbal and non verbal....or look at the comprehension books instead...or just put her in for it blind as they are suggesting.......and find she doesn't pass? :(
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

scarlett wrote:I'm a bit worried about this. When will we know what the test consists of? KCC usually posts the dates and type of papers on their sites a few months before. So, do I carry on with the verbal and non verbal....or look at the comprehension books instead...or just put her in for it blind as they are suggesting.......and find she doesn't pass? :(
I think change is on its way and have a feeling that 2014 sitters will be the guinea pigs. I've packed away the old style VR books and will start practising comprehension with DS!!!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, that's my gut feeling too. DD isn't great at literacy so will have to work on that, whereas she is a whizz at maths so is more suited to the Kent test as it stands. Have a feeling we will actually be doing more with ours to cover all possibilities!

I take it your Ds is a 2014 taker, Muggle?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If it helps, you might like to compare the wording of the DM article ...
Daily Mail wrote:Under plans to introduce tests ‘as resistant to coaching as possible’, parents and tutors will no longer be able to buy past papers or practice tests.

Pupils may also face a new test of reading comprehension and more assessment of their writing skills.
With this ... http://www.cemcentre.org/intu/entrance-assessment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durham CEM wrote:Our approach
Our aim is to develop assessments that are resistant to prepping and provide as standardised an environment as possible. Into this framework we then present content that assesses performance in verbal, numerical and non-verbal reasoning. Our interpretation of verbal reasoning is broad and includes comprehension and reading skills.

We provide no practice materials to minimise prepping
And then take a good read of this: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... er-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

scarlett wrote:Yes, that's my gut feeling too. DD isn't great at literacy so will have to work on that, whereas she is a whizz at maths so is more suited to the Kent test as it stands. Have a feeling we will actually be doing more with ours to cover all possibilities!

I take it your Ds is a 2014 taker, Muggle?
Yes DS is a 2014 taker, he's my 3rd (and final) child to go through the 11 plus. Just like your DD, my DS is more suited to the current Kent test as he is a great Mathematician but not so good at literacy. At least it will make the preparation interesting!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Presumably KCC depends on schools which are academies (how many grammars are?) paying to use the current test, and these schools could do their own test if they wanted to.

But just how cost effective would marking children's creative writing, or written comprehension exercises be? I can only see that multiple choice would be the way forward. Testing some different things is a possibility .... but are the secondary school heads really finding that they have got the wrong children - are the top 25% really at the non-selectives while the over-tutored mediocrity are at the grammars? I'm not convinced. Surely unless the grammars have really hard evidence that they are being given the wrong children - not just at the margins, a significant error in the selection process, then if it ain't broken, spend less not more?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Sally - Anne....very useful. Am feeling even more thankful for this forum now!

Might sound a bit dim....but KCC will tell us how the test will change, won't they? Feeling a bit overwhelmed now :(