Wilson's School's consultation 2014-15

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Wilson's School's consultation 2014-15

Post by tiffinboys »

http://www.wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk/ ... sultation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A brief summary of the main proposed changes:

1.Wilson’s School propose to join with Sutton Grammar School, Wallington County Grammar School and Greenshaw High School (selective stream) in a Common Eligibility Test. For entry to Wilson’s School in Year 7 in September 2014 boys must first pass this Common Eligibility Test. The proposed date for the test is Saturday 21 September 2013.
2.Boys who have achieved the pass mark for Wilson’s School in the Common Eligibility Test will be invited to sit the second stage Entrance Examination at Wilson’s School which will take place on Wednesday 9 October 2013.
3.Supplementary Form - There are no changes proposed to the categories of information that will be requested when completing a supplementary information form for Wilson’s School.
4.There is no longer a requirement for a school which offers places by reference to a rank order to give preference to looked after children so this part of our oversubscription criteria has been removed.
5.There are some changes to specific qualifications criteria for certain subjects in the Sixth Form.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
tiffinboys

Re: Wilson's School's consultation 2014-15

Post by tiffinboys »

The Common Eligibility Test consists of two multiple choice style papers; a numeracy paper and a literacy paper. The test score will be applicable to any of the participating schools although each school will determine its own pass mark.

Parents will be informed by email of the outcome of the Common Eligibility Test by Thursday 26 September 2013. This will confirm whether or not the candidate is eligible to sit the second stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School.

Second Stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School

All candidates who are eligible and have completed the Wilson’s School Supplementary Form will be invited to sit the second stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School which will be held at Wilson’s School on Wednesday 9 October 2013. The second stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School will comprise an English and a Mathematics paper.

Following the second stage Entrance Examination the rank order of the entrance examinations will be determined on the basis of the aggregate scores of the Common Eligibility Test and the two papers which make up the second stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School in the ratio 3.0; 3.5; 3.5. All three elements will be standardised for age before the aggregate score is calculated.

The outcome of the second stage Entrance Examination will be sent by email in October 2013.

There are no alternative dates to sit the Common Eligibility Test or the second stage Entrance Examination for Wilson’s School except in the case of illness on the day (a medical certificate will be required). Other extenuating circumstances may be considered by the Head on a case by case basis.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Weightage of 30% to stage 1 and 70% to stage 2 seems similar to that of TGS. Some kind of consensual policy?

The Verbal reasoning is out from Sutton Grammar and Wallington County at round 1 tests.

It would be interesting to see the number of applicants and number passing the first round tests. If 1800 applicants sit and less than 720 pass the round 1 tests, the chances of getting admission by second round applicants would be better than even.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

This is my last year so this has no impact for me, but my goodness what a triumph of common sense. The cost of all the schools doing individual tests must be daft, as is the circus of all the boys traipsing from school to school in September/October/November. Interesting to see whether they each then have a second test or pool resources for that too in the short or longer term. Also interesting that they have included numeracy at the pre-test rather than following this years SGS format which I suspect threw up some anomalies as the results on that test this year were odd and possibly favoured a particular demographic.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

ThreeKids wrote:This is my last year so this has no impact for me, but my goodness what a triumph of common sense.
Absolutely in favour of common test. Saves so much time, costs and relieve pressure on children too. Sensible thing is Wilson's second stage test is also in October and full outcome would be available before CAF date.

I wish other schools also give outcome of both stages before CAF date. Hope SGS and TGS are listening.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

4.There is no longer a requirement for a school which offers places by reference to a rank order to give preference to looked after children so this part of our oversubscription criteria has been removed.
I'm not entirely happy that a two stage testing process meets the standard required to remove the "looked after" preference.

School Admissions Code. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/adm ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.19 Where arrangements for pupils are wholly based on selection by reference to ability and provide for only those pupils who score highest in any selection test to be admitted, no priority needs to be given to looked after children or previously looked after children.
1.20 Where admission arrangements are not based solely on highest scores in a selection test, the admission authority must give priority in its oversubscription criteria to all looked after children and previously looked after children who meet the pre-set standards of the ability test.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

It will be very interesting to see what the difference between Stage One (Numeracy and Literacy) and Stage Two (Maths and English) is. I'm wondering if indeed Numeracy = Maths, and Literacy = English or if there is a subtle distinction. I realise that Stage One is Multiple Choice.

Could Verbal reasoning still be part of Literacy? I guess we'll only have a sense when the exams are sat and I doubt if the schools will give anything away. Idle or informed speculation welcome, though!
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

Oooo, I don't know. I think that adding one selection test for all the boys selective and part selective schools in Sutton is actually going to increase parental anxiety and definately exaggerate the out of control tutoring situation. :?

At least with each school testing individually, if your ds had a bad day they still had another shot. Maybe they could run the test over two separate dates and take an average of the scores on both days. I don't quite know why the schools have to run their own tests, when they will have a set of results to hand.

I also note that the time frame for the two stage testing process is quite tight. Again, that's a lot of testing in a very short period end of Sept until mid October, but Sutton Gs is holding the second test in November. I wonder why they have decided to wait until after the CAF is due in to complete the second stage and Wilsons and WCGS have not? Hmmm.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

May be SGS thinks that it is dangerous for parents to know the full outcome and some uncertainty is 'good' or may be they don't want to tell their cut-off scores and other relevant information.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I must admit that it's quite stressy to think that one "off day" or getting answers out of sync at Stage One could blow your son's chances of Sutton, Wallington and Wilson's in one fell swoop!

Can see why they're are doing it though, as the schools, particularly Wallington struggled organisationally last year with the sheer numbers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now