New English Sats Paper (level 6)

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

New English Sats Paper (level 6)

Post by countrymum »

DD has been told by school she is on target for level 6 papers next year in both Maths and English. She was also told that the English paper is different this time round and consists of grammar, punctuation and other stuff that I don't quite know.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the new English format may involve and perhaps why the change from last year?

Thanks
Guest55

Re: New English Sats Paper (level 6)

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... -materials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were published recently
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Guest55, that is a really useful link.
ginx

Post by ginx »

countrymum,

my dd's school aren't doing level 6.

But she is doing a new subject as part of literacy. They call it SPAG. spelling, punctuation and grammar - I don't think these have been tested before.

She's a bit concerned; today she's found out their classes are going to be split into two - so there will be a top, second, third and fourth set for both literacy and numeracy. I know why she's concerned. She's not sure she's in the top for literacy and she knows she won't be for numeracy. School have never set into four before, it's always been top and bottom groups. I don't know exactly why. I suppose it's a good thing? More attention in smaller groups?

She might have scraped the 11+, but she's not all that clever. Which shows really, was the 11+ a true picture of her abilities? Or is it to show her potential? Or did she just have a good day? Sometimes I wonder.

Nobody at her junior school is doing level 6.
ps how's life in the country at this time of year? Any floods? Have you been snowed in yet? :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for sharing that Ginx. I have never heard of SPAG before so don't really know much about it, but I know grammar, punctuation and spelling are new to this level 6 English next year, I think so anyway. My DD is a small year group so is in a mixed class, and they are just set on tables according to ability, not necessarily age etc. I don't know whether is a bright/high achieving year but I think she is among a couple of others doing level 6. Though think she is the only one doing English as well as the maths.

TBH and as have mentioned in other threads, sats really don't concern me too much, as is perhaps a school, rather than a pupil benefit, but with us possibly appealing next year, it would be great if she tipped into a level 6, as proof of academic ability. Of course I don't really know if those Sats results would come through before her appeal is heard. Also I really feel she is ready for big(ger) school now. I don't really know how much they actually achieve in this year 6?

As for your DD, I really just think is perhaps how the day itself went. I really do. I personally feel my DD was under the weather ( had had no sleep due to the evenings events before the exam) and so just lost concentration in a couple of questions or so that made it a non pass. When she was feeling much more with it and had plenty of sleep she passed the others but there we are. Well done your DD, credit where credit is due I say :D

No floods, or snow here. Just the usual, fields, cows, sheep, chickens, hens, farmhouse *********, and pretty bunting :lol:

PS :oops: Didn't know kitchen was a naughty word. Oh dear looks like a ban may be on the cards again :wink:
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

K i t c h e n has recently become a banned word because of all the spam - very persistent these room-which-you-cook-in sellers are!

Re Sats results. Whilst the school you are appealing for does hold its appeals late on in the summer term I am pretty sure that the SATs results won't have been given to the primary school before the appeal. However, your school will have been able to give their teacher assessed SATs results to the grammar school, as part of the appeal documentation. It's perfectly possible for your daughter to be teacher assessed as a Level 6.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Countrymum

I feel kind of guilty my dd has "passed" if she has - because it doesn't sound as if she is as bright as your dd, or other dc on here. When I listen to dp's listing books their dc read, and sats levels, I do sometimes think my dd isn't as "clever" as them. For example, her teacher said she "should reach" a level 5 - not "would reach" or "is already working at". Then I think how unfair it is that she has "passed" and some dc on here haven't. It doesn't seem fair. Our school isn't doing level 6 literacy because only one child in the whole of Warwickshire (our county) got it last year. Apparently.

If your dd is among a couple of others doing level 6, won't her school tell whoever hears the appeal - so they will know school consider her capable of it.

She sounds in with a good chance to me. Sadly I'm not the one making decisions. It must be a stressful time and a long wait for you, no wonder you're counting the hours!

I still think of you sitting in your large farmhouse, perhaps with a jug of cider, (or home made lemonade) in your country k i t c h e n with a real fire and aga, do you wear an apron? I imagine you do. I imagine it to be very rustic and pretty. With your animals round you. Dogs, cats, ponies. Rivers, streams, shetland ponies, sheep, hopefully no wolves or those horrid urban foxes!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

grammar, punctuation and spelling have always been tested as part of English
ginx

Post by ginx »

Not officially at dd's school which I find worrying! Maybe they just do it unofficially ???
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have a look at the sats marking scheme, the English mark is made up from all 3

http://www.st-josephs-pickering.n-yorks ... papers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now