Moving from T. Wells to Maidstone .... what happens??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moving

Moving from T. Wells to Maidstone .... what happens??

Post by moving »

I am a long time browser of this forum and have gained lots of information and insights, so much that I did not need to register as the answers were all there already.... but now I am biting my nails!!!

Our daughter got 141/141/141 in the 11+ (thanks in part to information gleaned here!) and we filled out the form with TWGGS and TOGS as #1 and #2 but there was a possibility that work commitments would mean we would have to move to Maidstone so we put down Invicta and MGGS as #3 and #4.

It is now certain that we need to move to Maidstone and we have been looking at property on the west side of Maidstone within walking distance of Invicta .... but we are worried that she will not get in there because we put it down as #3.

Can anyone give us any ideas about what happens? As I understand it we will only be offered a place at TWGGS initially. We rang the admissions people in the council to change the order of the schools on the form and they say they cannot do it and will not be able to do anything until 1st March. We really don't want to be in a position of moving there only to find that Invicta is way oversubscribed and everyone who was offered a space took up the offer leaving no space!!

The uncertainty is killing me!!!
tigger2

Re: Moving from T. Wells to Maidstone .... what happens??

Post by tigger2 »

Sorry..this is only going to be the shortest of replies for the moment. Have you checked with Invicta...I am assuming that they are always oversubscribed but do not know for certain. Assuming that they are oversubscribed on 1st March I am afraid that you will have to go on the waiting list and hope that places are released and that your dd can get a place that way. You should also consider appealing too as this is completely separate from the waiting list. I am sorry that I can not give better news but unfortunately you have been given the right information by Kcc....once the caf deadline passes in early November you cannot make any changes so you have to wait until after places have been allocated.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Not sure how close togs etc are to the train station, but my son catches the train from Maidstone to Tonbridge everyday, leaving approx 7.40in the morning, and arriving at 4.30 in the evening. I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but the commute is do-able.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

ToGS is about 20minutes walk away from the station...agree with PC that it is definitely worth considering if you are offered this school :)

Tigger
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I don't think Invicta has been oversubscribed in recent years. They either have spaces or just about fills. MGGS seem to be the current school of choice though these things do change. I really wouldn't stress, Maidstone has enough spaces for the kids who pass.
moving wrote: only to find that Invicta is way oversubscribed and everyone who was offered a space took up the offer leaving no space!!
I really can't see it being way oversubscribed. I looked at the results for Maidstone and Malling in KM and the pass rate for this year was just about the normal for the area. All the top 5 passes were more Malling area primary schools which keeps demand up for MGGS due to logistics and perhaps one or two other things. There weren't any surprises the side of town close to Invicta, just the usual Roseacre (...and even here a number still opt for MGGS) and then a few other primaries somewhere in the middle.

They may fill up on allocation but then spaces do come up as some people don't take the spaces just like you will be doing for the other grammars. I have never heard a girl in this area passing and not getting in, but there is always a first of course. Its mainly West Kent and Dartford area Grammar's that seem to be oversubscribed in Kent.
Impossible is Nothing.
moving

Post by moving »

Thanks for all the replies, we are going to try and contact the school and see if they can alleviate our worries....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you live at an address in Tunbridge Wells where would be "guaranteed" TWGGS? If not, there's a possibility you will get TOGS on 1 March.

Is Invicta's admission policy done by distance or score? I'm just thinking that on a waiting list done by score you will do well with 141/141/141 but on a waiting list done by distance you will do less well unless you move very close to the school you are hoping to get from a waiting list.
moving

Post by moving »

Yes she would definitely get into TWGGS if we stayed because we live within 100 meters of the school, I'm sure I read on this site that they take 70 or 80% of their intake from within 2 miles. We had a look on google maps and the house we are interested in Maidstone is 0.7 miles by road from Invicta, shorter walking.
mystery

Post by mystery »

PM us when you sell your house please!
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's crazy not being able to change your form because there are lots of people desperate for TWGGS who are catchment borderline who will probably get a Maidstone allocation!