did nothing over summer

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mousaka

did nothing over summer

Post by mousaka »

My son spent his hols with Grandparents and he did not do a thing all summer. Pretty scary! I am terrified at the thought of getting back into our routines and going through the process of adjustment to tough Lonodn realities. I can just picture him staring at the ceiling helplessly trying to remember what he had learned last school year.
Oh dear!
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

When your son is an adult I am sure he will look back fondly to those lazy summer days spent in the countryside with his dear grandparents. I doubt he will remember those first frantic two weeks of the autumn term when he, like most of his fellow students, is frantically getting back up to speed. At least he is refreshed to face all the pressure. Good luck to him.
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

Thank you Hilda. So reassuring.
I am picking him up tomorrow and apparently he is not too happy that I am coming!! Mum = work. What an association!
I am not too strict, but 11+ puts a preassure on us. He is experiencing absolute freedom now and realising that his good time is about to end. He stopped playing flute, reading and switched off completely. I could not keep him ticking along, since I saw him only for 2 weeks during summer and realising how totally switched off he was, I did not even risk to ask him to do any work. I really felt it would have been counterproductive. I also thought he deserved a break after very hard work.
Still dreading the start of the horror of next year , but no regrets of letting him off for 5 weeks (will not feel guilty if he does not pass- let's stay sane!)
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi

We haven't done much this holiday either. It has all been left till the last 2 weeks or so we thought only to realise that we go back to 11+ tuition on Saturday !!!!!!! We have spent this week cramming ( an hour a day) and this hasn't been too bad.. Kids soon get back into the swing of it..
guest0001

Post by guest0001 »

Can i go to your Grandparents next year? What an opportunity!
It just makes you realize how very important the summer hols are. We went to Greece this year,and when it was time to go,my kids had to peel me off my beach towel....Such a contrast to our busy City.
The new term is going to be hectic. knew school,uni,work etc...Lets all look forward to our summer hols.
PS. Is my sons school the only school that breaks up on the 4th July?
He reckons its going to be great.....We will go in search of Countryside....His Grandparents live and work in Spain,so maybe we will head there? :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now