Hormones

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Melx

Hormones

Post by Melx »

My adorable little boy who just last year at just turned 11 started senior school has suddenly become 'Perry' and I did not see it coming!!!

"You're always picking one me"
"you don't love me"
"I can't wait to leave"
"I hate you"

Are just some of the lines we have recently heard form our son who has also announced to me "it's my Hormones!!"

"don't worry mum just ignore everything I say" is the reaasuring line I get from him after he has had an outburst

I'm starting this topic as am hoping I am not the only one who is experiencing this.

Yes I know atleast he is acknowledging the dreaded 'hormones' and doesn't really want to get a job now so to buy a flat in another country but I find it very hard not to react and woudl liek to knwo just how long will this go on for???

Any other 'Perry' parents out there???

M
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Hi Melx

If you've got Perry, I must have Kevin! He is wonderful to everyone else, but the minute I appear, it's" U just don't understand" and like you......
You're always picking one me"
"you don't love me"
"I can't wait to leave"
"I hate you"
Unfortunately he started before his 11th b'day, and as I've said in a previous post. The solution for me is to don the body army and stand back. Someone please tell me the will be girls are easier!!!!!! :lol:

you are NOT alone...
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Oh I hear ya Melx!!

I get the following - in no particular order....

Oh MY God! I HATE this house! Why?

......and trying to get him to wash/brush teeth/change underwear!

Mine is 13, second son just turned 11 - aaaahhhhhh
Sue
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I haven't had it yet. I am dreading it...
sj355

Re: Hormones

Post by sj355 »

As soon as my son turned 11 in late July and without any previous warning the following changes strated abruptly during our summer in Greece:

1. Suddendly fashion and what he wears turned into an issue (before he was capable of going to school in his pyjamas and never notice if we did not remind him every day that he needed to put on his school uniform!)
2. Many girlfriends surfaced all of sudden all around him (he mantains they are all just very good friends!!)
3. My views and knowledge are challenged continously (on Maths, Science, the Universe and everything).
4. He continously corrects my Greek accent and takes an exasperated expression when he does so.
5. He complains that I am not ...like him (when asked what that means, the answer was sensitive and caring, to animals and people - in that order!).

It all started with a phatom pain in his gums two months ago, of which he grumbled about continously. I took him to the dentist in Greece, he gave him a gel (placebo) and the pain miracoulously went away. At some point the dentist (he is also a firend) took me discreetly aside and told me that it is not his gums but his age. I was warned that from now he will be like this, grumbling about real and unreal problems for the next couple of years. He was spot on in his prediction! Patience...
sj355
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Uuuurgh! Mine announced in the car tonight that he is just going to be teenage from now on. Says he might come out of it by the time he is 16 or 17. Currently 12???

Most irritating things:

1. Insistence on fashion - oh, INEX, do I hear you! We went for a long walk in a totally deserted bit of countryside and he was refusing to come because his shirt and trousers didn't match.

2. Wearing his trousers 6 inches below the natural waist and then complaining when the buttons pop off.

3. Answering every statement from his parents with "and?"

4. Answering every question from his parents "what did you do today/for the last week?" with the word "stuff". What sort of stuff? "Just stuff."

5. Minimizing every computer programme the moment I cruise by. (I've got him rumbled on that though.)

He did stop telling me "you're ruining my life" a while ago, when I told him I hadn't even started! :wink:

Sally-Anne
guest0001

Post by guest0001 »

My son turned 11 in May,but it all started way before that. His room has become a preteen den? The door will JUST open,because of the piles of books and clothes that have decided to lean against it! He still doesn't like girls and every 'sure' advert is met with an 'urgh' and an embarrassing smile. Everybody hates him apparently,except his friends. Tell him to read just a few pages of 'Just William'. 'Because you have to for school,and it is important'. The scowls,the tears,the storming off and sulking. Where did that cute,cuddly little boy go?....To the land of the hormones! But do you know what,its great! Cannot wait until next week........What a great big shock that will be. The house Master will not be impressed! Let the battle comence :lol:
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Bring it on!!!!!

I've found myself using my mum's favourite line when he wont wear cartain clothes......."it's not a fashion parade, we're only going to....(adsa/nans house/the village etc etc)
:lol:
Sue
MelX

Post by MelX »

Well thank you all.

It is comforting to know that I'm not the only 'non-understanding' parent.

As for the fashion thing, well yes that too started when he turned 11. My fault I guess by always instilling 'buy cheap buy twice'. I should add I only ever said this applying to the TAT my kids would opt to buy when going to the shops with Xmas money and trying to encourage them to but a good book or game instead. Well little did I know that my son would remind me of this constantly when trying to fit him out in 'Umbro' rather then 'Nike'.

The hair is the major issue though. Gone is the number 6 on top, 4 at the sides. I used to ask him to grow his hair but up to year 6 that was a big NO. Then suddenly year 7 and "I'm growing it mum". Great I thought. But then came the Gel the Wax, resulting in sticky hairdryer(mine)and the waiting whilst he looks in every mirror before deciding if it is the 'right look'. I try to tell him how gel should last for atleast a few weeks and not days and that it may be better to use a bit rather then half a tube. The fun really starts when I without even thinking attempt to put right the bit sticking out on top.
"mum what are you doing you've ruined it now, it's awful, you have no idea!!"
I feel scolded and guilty whilst also trying not to laugh at my young daughter who is giggling to herself.

Sj355- I did laugh at your Greece episode. We have just returned from Rhodes and funny because for the first three days my son too complained of a 'blister' on his tongue. My husband took him to the local pharmacist an it did go after a few days and I don't doubt it was real but my goodness did we know about it.

Girls-- Up to year 6 couldn't care less about them. Year 7. It apears he can't get enough of them.
He too has lots of girls texting him who apparantely are all good friends. Trouble is (and I'm sorry if this is bad but I do occassionally read his texts) I'm not sure all these girls are aware of the 'friends' thing. Infact I'm starting to think he is somewhat of a 'Casanova'

Sally-Anne--- That 'and' thing how annoying is that especialy when it comes as "yeah and".
He too is very quick to react when I enter our study and he is on the PC.

I don't know whatever happend to those gorgeous little lads who walked out of our doors last year.

Mel
:?:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Sally-Anne--- That 'and' thing how annoying is that especialy when it comes as "yeah and".
Ok, it is a CONSPIRACY!!. Mine says the same too :!:
sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now