-MATHS mental block -HELP!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reena

-MATHS mental block -HELP!!!

Post by reena »

I am so worried about my daughters maths.

She's completed all NFER maths tests all 4.

I am having to repeat the questions and explaining them over and over again as she keeps forgetting formula's any suggestions???

She now gets a score of 42/50 but if i twist the question she gets them wrong!! i am so worried.

She's loving non-verbal currently scoring 85-90%

:cry:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Reena

Why are you using Maths and NVR papers, they are not for Bucks?

You only require Verbal Reasoning.

Patricia
reena

Post by reena »

sorry my question jumped to buckinghamshire lists where is should have been viewed in the Berkshire question lists.
Catherine

Re: -MATHS mental block -HELP!!!

Post by Catherine »

Hi reena,

Don't worry, you have two months left, it is enough to make big progress. Stay on this forum and you will receive a lot of help and tips.

Here's just a first few suggestions based on my own experience:

I think that your daughter needs to work on different material, not just NFER, in order to be able to cope with a wider range of questions.

I would also suggest that she practices specifically the areas that she has problems with. Build up from what your daughter knows well, and increase progressively to the level of the NFER tests.
If she finds it hard to remember something, repeat it often. You don't have to spend a lot of time on it, just a few minutes daily until she remembers, then go back on it at regular intervals to make sure that she doesn't forget.

You can try to make up some practice questions yourself, with a similar and different wording, and slight variations until you are sure that your daughter has good grasp of the particular subject. The advantage of making up your own questions is that they are exactly adapted to your child level.

I used the AE publications workbooks as reference for myself, and as resource for exercises.
If you want to practice specific question types you can also have a look at 'The Tutors' CDs as described by Mike here (not used it myself)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3184

As for practice papers similar to NFER, I used the IPS 35mn tests - see some comment here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3302

I would also suggest that you read as much as possible of the Maths section, as a lot of it is about the NFER papers, and ask I you have any question.

Hope this helps

Catherine
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now