New style Bucks test - early advice on preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

New style Bucks test - early advice on preparation

Post by Sally-Anne »

Once the world has restarted in January (having shut down with the usual whimper rather than the predicted bang in December), we will be gradually posting advice to parents on how to ensure that their children are ready to face the new test, which have every reason to believe will be the Durham CEM, as used in Birmingham and other areas.

The test is much vaunted as being "tutor-proof", but there is ultimately no such thing. The good news is that any tutoring or parental preparation (the same thing, give or take a split hair and a bank balance) could add value to a child's future educational success, unlike much of the test previously used in Bucks.

The following advice on test content was provided by a past forum member, "fm", who knew a considerable amount about the various elements of the CEM.
fm wrote:I have seen posts which imply the Bond books are the business but, frankly, while I do use these, I have slid over to a great variety of other work by June or July (note: for exam in Nov) with the vast majority of my pupils, and much of this is either written by me or adapted from other sources or taken from obsolete books. In fact, the children this year claimed the best maths practice came from Schofield and Sims Progress Papers which have been out of print for the last 3 years.

I would probably tell parents to start with the Bond books as their foundation but then branch out into as many different varieties of work as they can. I would also tell them to go easy on the traditional verbal reasoning and, while they might want to use some of the commercially available 11+ papers, it would be advisable to warn their children that the actual exam will not be in the format.
KenR, our Birmingham Mod, adds the following advice:
KenR wrote:Cloze is a regular entry - take a look at the following posts:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=26376

Please note that the format of cloze is sometimes different for CEM - ie missing letters rather than a selaction from words. The passage that I created (on Easter Island) came from a real CEM comprehension passage in a previous Birmingham exam - so you get an idea of the level.

I would use the create you own cloze material previously posted:-

http://learnonline.cc/clozure/about.php

I would also create your own synonyms and antonyms using some of the real words included in previous exam - this is fairly easy to do. Use words such as:

tempestuous - conceited, volatile, inconspicuous, foe, submissive.

Style is as above - other words previously included in exams:-

evaluation, orthodontist, nurseryman, wound, inferior, content, subdued, clemency, debrief, precarious, vicarious, perplexed, apprehensive, physiotherapy, subterranean, conclusion, superfluous, polarity, nauseous, frivolous, altitude, trivial, emerge, pigment, covet, antiquity, tranquil, drought, passive, incision, bewildered, device, inaugurate, pompous, bewildered, covet and antiquity.

There are typically anything from 56-80 synonyms and/or antonyms to complete in 10mins - time is very tight - they need to write down the correct answer in 10 secs or less (7.5 secs for 80 words)

It's also worthwhile brushing up on the vocabulary using a different approach. Buy a few quality broadsheet newspapers, select a few interesting articles (e.g on say climate change or Darwin etc) and using a highlight pen mark several challenging words.

You should then get you child to read the article and explain back the keys points being made in the article. In particular you should get them to explain precisely the meaning of the highlighted words. If there is any doubt work together with them using a dictionary.
There is also information about past test content from Birmingham, and the format of the test, on our Birmingham webpage, here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... er-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that the content of the test will vary from area to area, and no past papers are published.

Sally-Anne
tvj

Re: New style Bucks test - early advice on preparation

Post by tvj »

Hello Sally,

Thanks for the info. It looks like it has been finalized as CEM Durham for bucks from 2014 onwards. Below is the info from Sir William borlase grammar school website

'Each of the thirteen Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools has today published its Admission Policy for Consultation. The consultation period runs until March 7th 2013.
All thirteen grammar schools, which are now independent Admission Authorities, are working together with Buckinghamshire County Council and primary schools to maintain consistency across the county in the selection process. Following a rigorous tendering process, the grammar schools have commissioned CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham University) to design and provide a new test for grammar school entry. CEM has a long and successful record for monitoring and analysing pupil progress and for developing tests for use in academic selection. The test assesses verbal, numerical and non-verbal ability. This enables children to demonstrate their ability in a range of concepts'

Regards

Jay
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

tvj wrote:It looks like it has been finalized as CEM Durham for bucks from 2014 onwards.
Thank you very much, Jay. I knew more about this than I have been able to post, and it is very helpful to finally have confirmation of the new test provider. I was about to start surfing each of the GS websites daily for more information, but you have saved me the trouble of doing so. :D
'Each of the thirteen Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools has today published its Admission Policy for Consultation. The consultation period runs until March 7th 2013.
There is a problem there, because the consultation must be completed by 1st March! A typo, I suspect ...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - one would think they could have each posted an identical statement ....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree it's odd for them not to all agree a common set of words. From the BGS website:
Children are eligible to be considered for admission to Burnham Grammar School in Year 7 if they meet the required qualifying score of 121 in the admission tests or have been deemed qualified by a Selection Review Panel.
Two tests, each of approximately 45 minutes duration, are taken in the September of the year prior to proposed admission. The tests are comprised of elements of verbal, numerical and non-verbal ability. Each child‟s raw scores in the two tests are added together and the resulting score is converted into an age standardised score thus setting all children on an equal footing regardless of when their birthday falls in the year.
Registration for the test is automatic for children who attend Buckinghamshire Primary schools unless the parent expressly withdraws their child from testing*
Interesting that they are still saying 121 is the qualifying score. Is this a mistake?
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, I saw this score quoted elsewhere and also 7th March appears on another website.

I understand from a friend that the Primary schools still haven't been told officially ...
KenR

Post by KenR »

Interesting that they are still saying 121 is the qualifying score. Is this a mistake?
It's possible that they could combine all questions from both papers and perform one standardisation, however that would be unusual. I would have expected them to either:-

1. Standardise both papers separately and add together (with a pass mark of 242 or a little less based on previous Bucks averages)
2. Standardise English/Verbal, Numerical and NVR questions separately to get a pass mark of 363 or less (similar to the way B/ham used to until 2 years)

Worth checking if this is correct
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The standardising has always been done to get the 'right' proportion qualified so I guess this can be done.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Wording to be included in Admission policies to be published on school websites as from 21 |December 2013

"Each child's raw scores in the two tests are added together and the resulting score is converted into an age standardised score thus setting all children on an equal footing regardless of when their birthday falls in the year"

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

"Children are eligible to be considered for admission to Chesham Grammar School in Year 7 if they meet the required qualifying score of 121 in the admission tests or have been deemed qualified by a Selection Review Panel."

121 also quoted on at least one other school's website ...

Amazing that they could not agree on ONE version!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now