6th Form medway options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
medwaymum

6th Form medway options

Post by medwaymum »

Open evenings for 6th form grammars have begun. Although dd will most likely remain at FP, I would be interested to hear opinions from parents on the various grammar options?
Allbutdone

Re: 6th Form medway options

Post by Allbutdone »

Mine is at Rochester Grammar and have attended a couple of in-house sessions on difference between IBS / A'Levels and what daughter is best suited to do. She again, thinks that RGS remains her no1 choice, as they offer the subjects she likes and she knows the school and her teachers have been supportive. The RGS open evening is the 16th Jan. But she does want to see what the grass looks like on the other side of the road and is going to take a look at the SJW on the 10th Jan - but, having looked at the variety of A'Levels I don't think they offer as much choice but I think it's important she makes the right choice for her :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

That's interesting Allbutone, is she erring towards A's or the IB?
Allbutdone

Post by Allbutdone »

She was originally keen on IB following school talk which sold the benefits, but she is not a good allrounder, weak on science and maths but far stronger on humanties. With IB she would need to continue studying these, which to be blunt she simply does not enjoy and has to work twice as hard to achieve a decent grade, so she decided that the best option was to choose the subjects that she enjoys. I understand from her 6th form interview that the split between IB and A'level last year was around 25% (IB) and 75% (A'Level).

She looked at Maths School, which I thought was excellent (we looked at pschology, politics, history, classic civilisations, english and art) especially the new art block which was spacious and light, but she was not so keen at the end of the evening, so has made up her mind to stay put. Not a waste of time as at least now she knows she is where she wants to be rather than wondering whether she might be happier elsewhere. :o
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Most spooky Allbutone as my dd very very similar! I too visited the math and dd felt it made her more determined to stay put. Not that it wasn't a pleasant experience however! Indeed I was pleasantly impressed and if I had a son there probably would have been happy for him to stay here. I think there's a lot to be said for staying on at your own school, if they offer the course you want...if its not broke, don't fix it I guess!