DCHS - new admssion's policy and siblings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
singingmummy

DCHS - new admssion's policy and siblings

Post by singingmummy »

Has any one noticed that the sibling priority has been removed from the new proposed admissions policy at DCHS? Having my eldest daughter there already, I had assumed that 'all' (!) my two younger DD's had to do was pass the exam, and the sibling link that existed in the admissions policy would ensure their place. As we live towards the edge of the catchment area, many girls in our village have not been awarded places at DCHS in th past and it was an unexpected surprise when DD1 got a place.

Is there any good reason why DCHS would drop this condition from their admissions policies? From a cursory glance at some of the other GS proposed admission policies, they seem to be keeping the sibling clause. I would be interested in any thoughts on what DCHS may be seeking to achieve.
Marylou

Re: DCHS - new admssion's policy and siblings

Post by Marylou »

I suspect this might be an oversight, but if not then it must by definition be a conscious policy decision. Either way, since the admissions policy is currently up for consultation it might be an idea to draw the matter to the attention of other families who are affected and respond through the consultation process, as well as writing to the board of governors about your concerns if the proposed change is actually intended as such. It could be worth pointing out that the lack of a sibling policy would generate an increase in transfer appeals each year, and panels have been found to be sympathetic to cases presented on sibling grounds. The additional appeals would not only incur extra cost for the school but might also result in the school being forced to go over its PAN on a regular basis.
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I also suspect, and hope, that this is an oversight. I suggest that you email the Chair of Governors (the email address is on the school's website under "Governance") to seek clarification, as marylou suggests.

Please let us know the outcome.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have received confirmation that this is not an error or oversight, but a definite change to the proposed Admissions Policy.

Parents can view the full Draft Policy here, and there is an email address for feedback on the proposed arrangments: http://www.challonershigh.com/page/?pid=791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have checked the policies of the other 12 Grammars and all of them still give siblings some form of priority, although the variety of policies is too wide for me to post here, so parents do need to check the rules for each school that they might wish to apply to.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

DCHS has now published its Determined Admission Arrangements for 2014 Admissions. http://www.dchs.bucks.sch.uk/page/?titl ... ns&pid=791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following responses to the consultation the Governors have decided not to remove priority for siblings this year, but they intend to consult on the change again next year.

The rationale for the potential change is outlined in this document: http://www.dchs.bucks.sch.uk/_files/Adm ... B5A4CD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now