Is Big Brother watching me?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Is Big Brother watching me?

Post by scary mum »

Maybe someone technical can tel me if I'm just paranoid or if EPE is watching me!
Are the adverts at the bottom of the login page personalised? I keep getting ads coming up for the place we are going on holiday in the summer and it isn't a terribly well known place - I have never seen adverts for it before, but since looking at the prices etc on line, there they are when I log in (it's a nice reminder of things to come!). Also yesterday I looked at some air fares on a well known price scanning website, and now there it is at the bottom of my page! Own up EPE, are you tracking the sites I visit or is it just co-incidence? I do get them for a health care company too and I don't think I've ever visted their website.
scary mum
ginx

Re: Is Big Brother watching me?

Post by ginx »

Scary Mum, I know what you mean. I was typing a message on gmail about taking my mum swimming. Up came loads of adverts about buying swimming pools! My mum's unwell, and 71, up came loads of adverts about how to deal with dementia etc.

I wondered if I was going mad!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Every website you visit will leave a "Cookie" on your computer. Those can then be read by sites such as Google, who provide these ads for websites such as EPE, and the advertising is then tailored more closely to what might interest you.

There are ways of preventing it happening, but it generally doesn't bother people. I would rather see ads for my next holiday than "10 tips of a flat belly", which is a regular, and makes my teeth itch because of the poor grammar. It also proves that it is still a fairly random business much of the time - I have never been on a diet in my life.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Oh, yes, it makes me smile to see the ads for my holiday! I suspect I don't see them on my iPad. I get all the flat belly and lose weight ones (not to mention menopause ones!) on Facebook and assumed it was because they thought I was a bit podgy in photos (and at that certain age). However my slim cousin tells me she gets the same ones :D
scary mum
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

:lol:

Right now I have "5 foods you should never eat! "
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't listen to them scary mum, BB IS watching you really :twisted: :lol: :lol: :wink:
ginx

Post by ginx »

And I have "special secondary schools". Suppose as I've gone on with ds1, sneeds, and diabetic daughter, that is why? Clever ...
ahap

Post by ahap »

How do you stop these ads? I'm being reminded to save for my funeral expenses. I don't think I visited any of those sites. :roll: Its really annoying. Its at the right hand side and whenever I try to click view new posts it goes to view your posts, because the ad suddenly pops there. Please help.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Clear cookies regularly and clear 'history' and temporary files by running 'Disk Cleanup'.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks Guest55.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.