Bright Sparks,CGP,AFN,Bond etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mjames

Bright Sparks,CGP,AFN,Bond etc

Post by mjames »

I understand Wirral prescribes IPS
Has anyone got experience for the following books for Wirral Multiple Choice VR?
Bright Sparks=Susan Daughtrey
CGP=Richard Parsons
AFN=
Bond=
Sally-Anne

Re: Bright Sparks,CGP,AFN,Bond etc

Post by Sally-Anne »

All of those except Bond are appropriate materials for Wirral. You can see the full list here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ol-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The approximate order of difficulty of the materials you name is AFN, then CGP and finally Bright Sparks.

Take a look at Patricia's DIY thread on Bucks which was also GL VR, although it will change this coming year. Everything on there applies to Wirral.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rj999

Post by rj999 »

Sally-Anne wrote:All of those except Bond are appropriate materials for Wirral.
A rather strange and amusing comment since the Bond books were published by the Headmistress of a Wirral independent school and are regularly updated.
mjames

Post by mjames »

rj999 wrote:A rather strange and amusing comment since the Bond books were published by the Headmistress of a Wirral independent school and are regularly updated.
I didn't know that!!!
However,many still take "BOND is to Grammar School" as "BURGER is to McDonald's" :lol:
I started this thread just because BOND looked so different from IPS, which I bought after advise from this forum.
I've searched a lot, but haven't come across any MCQ BOND.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mjames wrote: I've searched a lot, but haven't come across any MCQ BOND.
Available in WHSmith I think, and certainly Waterstones.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

And in our very own bookshop: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Bond-11plus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , but as I said, you don't need Bond for Wirral.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

I found bond books helpful in my sons preparation for wirral 11plus. Many of the exercises were similar if not exactly the same.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Bond is not appropriate material for the Wirral.

Bond use 50 types of Verbal reasoning, the Wirral only use 21. In addition, of the 50 types used by Bond 4 types required by the Wirral are missing.

See the following link.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Well I can only comment on my son and I might add 3 of his friends who all found bond a good introduction to getting in the mindset for 11 plus. He then followed on with the other books. The extra types covered in wirral were then easily picked up as he was used to the style of questions. He did about 6 months prep and passed with a very good score. I would not discount bond if you have the time to do them
Debs
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Why would you practice 30 extra types of question which are not needed?
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now