Back in the classroom!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Back in the classroom!!

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Well, I finally did it. I've been dragged kicking and screaming back into the classroom after 15 years absence!! :shock: This is me on my first day!
Any tips for maintaining my sanity please?! Wine and chocolate are top of my list, but any other suggestions would be gratefully received. :lol:
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Back in the classroom!!

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

As a student or teacher? :roll:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

As a teacher, sadly! :lol:
Actually my first day was funny as I was at work in the morning, then a friend had invited me to attend a lecture she was giving at the uni in the afternoon which made a wonderful contrast. :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

I helped in year one last year for two hours, once a week.

The longest two hours of every week.

But perhaps you teach year 12?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

No, I teach Years 7 and 8 bottom sets in a secondary modern. :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

Oh! I have dc in years 9 and 10 ...

Do dc at your school choose options in year 8? Ours is good comp with grammar stream and results, my only criticism (not bad to have just one criticism!) is that they choose their options too early.

What subject do you teach? I have dd in set 3 out of 5 sets (she just isn't academic). I imagine teaching bottom sets can be very challenging but rewarding. Or is it just plain hard work? I bet it's tiring.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My favourite group just before I gave up teaching was Year 8 set 4 out of 4. They were innocent and just lovely really. My classes haven't always been like that, but I've always had a good relationship with low ability Year 8 students.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Ginx, to be honest I've no idea when they start to choose options at my school, but mine will be working on basic literacy skills. I'm a secondary trained English teacher, although the level that I'm teaching it at is primary level.
I think it will be rewarding. I have the potential to make a difference and really like my Year 7.
KS10, you'll have to give me some tips with my Year 8 as they're a complete, disruptive nightmare!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

My DS is now in Year 8 and has to choose his options soon. I think it is too early too. When I asked my son why they have to choose so soon and not next year he said that the school thought next year was 'a wasted year'!?!?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

KS10, you'll have to give me some tips with my Year 8 as they're a complete, disruptive nightmare!
Now I'm regretting that comment!

I think it's been luck mostly; or possibly, I had a positive attitude with Year 8 as I expected to do well with them - neither of which helps you really. I never did games with them until behaviour was sorted. I will have a think and pm you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now