Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Dux Award

Post by Daogroupie »

Anyone had a Year 9 DC go on this? DG
aliportico

Re: Dux Award

Post by aliportico »

Yeah, mine went last year - someone else was picked first, but then as there was a fairly low take up apparently, the school were told they could send two, so she got to go. Went to UCL, and had a really good day - talks about (just went and asked her) history of biology, psychology and aging, and did a tour/scavenger hunt.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sounds great. How big was the group? Did she get any choice about where she went or what they did? Did it change any ideas of what she might like to do? Thanks DG
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I think the school got to give preferences, but were ultimately allocated UCL. That was before she was invited, but after the first boy had been invited, I think. I know when they looked at the other options, both she and he fancied the one in Oxford, but no, they had no say in it :)

They were put into small groups, 6 perhaps? She wasn't with the boy from her school, and the teachers are whisked away to do teacher-y stuff too. No options on the day either. Obviously the talks were to all of them together - I don't know how many that was! - and then the tour was her small group with a current student, so they had lots of time to chat and ask questions.

I don't think it has changed anything for her, but she definitely enjoyed the chance to have an interesting day out, see the university, broaden the horizons a bit :)

Has your dc been invited? Well done :)