Advice needed!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SophieKShaw

Advice needed!

Post by SophieKShaw »

I have been looking at the GL Assessment English paper and it looks really hard, as does the Bond Assessment book 10-11 years!! I am totally worried! Can anyone offer any advice about what to teach, what to prioritise? Thanks
Also, is there a creative writing bit in the Plymouth exam?
yoyo123

Re: Advice needed!

Post by yoyo123 »

there is info about the Devon tests here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... on-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

I started with Haydn comprehension book 3, now that we've done some of those, DD is trying Collins focus on comprehension for 9+ The comprehensions usually end with a creative writing piece/description. My next plan would be to look at Tutor Master series for writing - book1 /book 2. (filed away :roll: until we finish collins)

Have a look on the trusted Ama***n

BTW am preparing for North London Consortium, and DD needs to sit an english paper (comprehension/creative writing piece)

hope this helps :)
SophieKShaw

Post by SophieKShaw »

Thanks! Appreciate your help! :)
Storm

Post by Storm »

My DS sat the 11+ in Torbay last year. I assume you're looking at the Plymouth tests for Autumn this year? We started looking at the Bond comprehension and he found them impossible! So I got a Schofield and Simms comprehension book and he got on much better. We didn't look at the GL Nelson English book until the very end of the summer term, by which time he got on well with it. All the work paid off and comprehension went from being the weak link to an area that I felt (almost!) confident about. We're still waiting to hear about places, but the guidance letter suggests he's done well So don't worry if your DD finds all this hard at the moment - there's plenty of time to improve!
SophieKShaw

Post by SophieKShaw »

Thanks.... I am starting to calm down now lol....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now