Miranda (and other post watershed TV) suitable for my Y7 DD?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WOTMum

Miranda (and other post watershed TV) suitable for my Y7 DD?

Post by WOTMum »

I was allowed to watch anything and everything at this age but I'm sure that other than a few hard hitting early 80s films on C4, TV was a lot tamer 30 years ago. However, according to my 11.5 year old DD, "everybody" watches Miranda. I don't, although I do like her in Call the Midwife, so tried 10 mins of last Monday's episode. I found the scene with her being treated by the osteopath amusing, as a patient for 15 years of an attractive male osteopath myself, but wondered if I could ever take my DD with me there again without her recounting the scene's content - don't want to be too graphic here so hope enough people have seem it. It's got me thinking about TV in general as we are selective about what we watch and what the children watch.

Any comments especially for this age group? We answer her questions honestly, but our thing is, if we don't watch certain progs, why should she?? We only have TVs in family rooms and our bedroom and watch all sorts of stuff together but nothing beyond 9pm at the mo. We also have an 8 year old DS.
Daogroupie

Re: Miranda (and other post watershed TV) suitable for my Y7

Post by Daogroupie »

I am afraid this "everybody watches" and "everybody has" is only going to get worse. It is very sad, they have got years of staying in with young children and watching lots of TV. Fortunately for me my dd's don't have any time to watch TV and we don't have one anyway so they couldn't even if they wanted to. Personally I think there could be a lot worse things than Miranda. She is a great role model of an overweight woman with a normal hair style and no makeup who is very likeable. So much better than Kimy do you not think? Perhaps you could watch Miranda together and talk about it together afterwards. We watch it together when we are somewhere with a TV and I find it very enjoyable but quite surprising that teenage girls like it so much! Miranda just do not seem glamourous enough for them. DG
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi there. My dd is 11 and ds is 9, funnily enough we have the same issue with Miranda! The kids did see the Xmas special (dreadful) and an old episode being replayed over the hols. They asked me to record Monday's episode - past their bedtime (!) and I have deleted it as I'm just not happy with the content for them. Clearly it is scheduled after the watershed because the content is a little adult, whereas the Xmas special was not.
A relative bought them back series of outnumbered which is also causing trouble (though not because of adult content, although sometimes it is close to the bone), rather because ds has morphed into Ben, he has the annoying questions, arguing and answering back, even the tone of voice, perfectly. Not great to live with so box set now hidden...... :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We have just started to let DD (yr 6) record Miranda as it was recommended by her drama and science teachers, independent of each other. She doesn't understand all the dating angst but generally finds it quite funny and I always watch it with her in case there is something that needs explaining. She knows about the watershed and understands that sometimes the explanation will be that she doesn't need to know about that yet. It's gentle enough compared to some of the pretty violent manga style cartoons that seem to flood children's channels these days.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I let my yr 6 year old dd watch it but am probably a bad mother (she watches Hollyoaks) although we watch it together.

I think Miranda's fairly harmless and a lot of things go over my dd2's head. It is difficult with older children around.

My problem is that another friend is coming for a sleepover tonight and I had promised the other they could watch Miranda tonight. Fine with all my children and me (I find it quite harmless really) but I'm not sure that I want another 10 year old watching it. I can't contact her mother, her parents are separated. Don't feel happy asking her dad. I think we'll watch something else!

Dd2 says indeed, everyone does watch Miranda. Dd2 isn't always up at 9pm. So I'm not sure I believe her.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I think Hollyoaks is far worse than Miranda :shock: Tbf we aren't big television watchers here, I used to watch H'oaks as a youngster when it first aired but putting the content aside I really think is a poor programme anyway. Of course I haven't actually sat down and watched an episode for a long time, so maybe I am out of touch. DD has shown no interest up to now to watch it. We're probably all a bit square in this house :wink: I remember quite fancying that dark haired fella, when it first aired. Can't remember his name, I'm getting old.

No offence meant at all Ginx, just a programme I wouldn't want my DD to enjoy watching :) My gripe is that wildlife programme, Birdwatch, always on at silly o'clock my DS likes that but on quite late for him really and hardly ever have time for watching again on catch up or whatever.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

countrymum wrote: My gripe is that wildlife programme, Birdwatch, always on at silly o'clock my DS likes that but on quite late for him really.
This annoys me as well. My year 6 DD barely watches any TV, but does like wildlife, science and cookery programmes. All usually too late and usually no reason why they couldn't be before the watershed, especially when you consider some of the more adult content of stuff on before then.

Btw I just asked DD if she has ever heard of Miranda, got a blank look. None of her fiends has ever mentioned it either.
Last edited by Tinkers on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRM

Post by JRM »

No to Hollyoaks here. But I'm struggling to think what could be offensive on Miranda. I shall have to watch again.

But then my just 10 year old loves Mock the Week and HIGNFY and the News Quiz. I think it goes over the 8 year old's head, but I certainly don't choose to watch it with her.

We have to be most careful of hospital drama things being on when they wander downstairs for a drink of water.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I think Miranda is a fab comedian and actress. My 13 year old (Y8) watches Miranda and had the series 1&2 dvd box set bought for her at Christmas. There is a great deal of guffawing at it in our house! The only slight issuette is that DD2 (Y4) ends up watching it too sometimes as we only have TVs downstairs, but I think some of the more adult stuff just goes over his head anyway.

Edited to ask Reading Mum a Q - I am scratching my head as to why the science teacher recommended Miranda. Am I missing something?!

Such fun!

Agree about some of the nature and astronomy programmes by the way - should be on earlier as we don't always remember / have time to watch via iplayer. DD2 loves these sort of programmes. Sadly DD1 doesn't and will actually turn off nature programmes which might involve seeing an animal hurt / killed - she is quite emotional like that.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Jules7 wrote:
Edited to ask Reading Mum a Q - I am scratching my head as to why the science teacher recommended Miranda.
Not recommended for its contributions to science - she is just a teacher that DD gets on really well with and they were chatting :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now