How does KES scholarship interview work??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mradam

How does KES scholarship interview work??

Post by Mradam »

Does anyone know the format of the interview ??

Thank you in advance.
I confused

Re: How does KES scholarship interview work??

Post by I confused »

i was told that if your child is towards the top end of the results, then he/she will be offered an interview with a possible scholarship or an assisted place. if no interview then they have a straight pass or fail.. if passed then it will be entry by full fee.

i hope this helps :D
Mradam

Post by Mradam »

Hi there, thanks for your quick reply. I wanted to know want is asked in the interview??
Is there a pass or fail.
I confused

Post by I confused »

The interview is very informal and may have nothing to do with the exam itself. more about the child and the background. the chances are that if got into an interview, its a 95% entry in the school, the other 5% is if you required assisted place and there's only a full fee place available then you may turn it down. there are 120 places for year 7. The top 15 or so Students will be offered Scholarships, then about 35 Students will be offered assisted place, the other 70 will be full fee paying. if you need help with the fees then your child has to be in the top 50 or so otherwise its full fee. considering that on saturday i got to know that children as far as Bristol and up to about 40 miles were in the test makes you think. My child was also in the test and he was 50/50 in saying that the maths was hard and that was hes strong subject.
Mradam

Post by Mradam »

Thank you for your quick reply thank you for the information. My son found section A,B easy and C a bit tricky in Maths. He said vr was easy. Found the English hard, the writing he done about two a4 sheets with planning. So I don't know have to wait and see. Long six weeks.lol
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Mr Adam, as confused mentions, the interview is supposed to be quite informal - they may or may not ask about hobbies. I think it is really meant to be a chance to see what kind of boy he is so I hope that puts your mind at ease. Dont tell me you have already had the call! :wink:

Although I suspect that the above post is a little optimistic about the amount of scholarships on offer. I think it might be more of the case that quite a few of the scholarships are combined with APs - last year I know of 2 cases where a 50% scholarship was combined with an AP. I think they have offered 30-35 APs in previous years. Also, KES do offer more than the 120 places available as there will always be some who are offered Grammar school places and a standard KES place so opt for the former.

UmSusu
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Mradam wrote:Hi there, thanks for your quick reply. I wanted to know want is asked in the interview??
Is there a pass or fail.

My son had his interview before any of the other boys in his school had theirs. When he got back to school he was interrogated quite harshly (and unfairly) by teachers and children about what he was asked. He was upset about it. Over the next couple of weeks the borderline and AP candidates went for their interview and some were asked the same questions. One boy in particular answered unusually well, to the point that KES asked if he had been speaking to the other candidates before his interview. He had to admit he had and didn't get his AP (although he had of course done well enough for a full fee place).

The "pass or fail" you ask about obviously depends on the reason for the interview so scholarship/no scholarship, AP/no AP. Only borderline are pass/fail.
Mradam

Post by Mradam »

Thank you every one for the info.
Sai1

Post by Sai1 »

I presume if we have no heard by now we are unlikely to get either a scholarship or borderline interview and therefore DS has not got in
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sai1 wrote:I presume if we have no heard by now we are unlikely to get either a scholarship or borderline interview and therefore DS has not got in

Only the people who are in line for a scholarship or AP or are a borderline pass will be interviewed -there will be many who have passed and will be offered a full fees place who will not be interviewed, though not being interviewed can also mean that the passmark has not been reached.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now